Make sure you don't miss out on important product update or patch
50 posts Page 1 of 5
As of Couch v1.4.5 this filemanager now ships as part of the installation zip.

Couch v1.4 (currently available for download as a release candidate here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7713) adds supports for one more filemanager - KCFinder.
db1.png
db1.png (59.73 KiB) Viewed 27663 times

This new filemanager has all the features one would expect from a modern filemanager -
- Thumbnail preview
- Full set of file manipulation functions (copy / move / delete)
- Select multiple files
- Multiple files upload (does not work in IE)
- Upload files using HTML5 drag and drop (for FF and Chrome only)

Installation:
1. Download the following zip
kcfinder.zip
(517.44 KiB) Downloaded 2084 times

2. Extract the zip file to get a folder named 'kcfinder'.
3. Place it within your installation's 'couch/includes' folder.
4. In your installation's config.php, change the following directive from '0' to '1'
Code: Select all
// 25
// Set the following to '1' if you wish to use KCFinder as the default file-browser (will require PHP5 and modern browsers)
define( 'K_USE_KC_FINDER', 0 );

NOTE: If you've upgraded from a previous version of Couch to 1.4, the config.php will not have the above directive.
Please copy and paste the above code into it and change the '0' to '1'.

Troubleshooting:
If, after enabling KCFinder, you find that accessing the uploads folder or the uploaded images now results in '500 Internal Server error', the following could be the two most probable reasons

1. The files unzipped from kcfinder.zip have improper permissions. Please use the utility downloadable from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7315 to set the right permissions.

2. KCFinder, as a security measure, creates a .htaccess file within your installation's uploads folder. Some hosts have problems with this file.
To rectify the issue, delete the newly created .htaccess file and then uncomment the following directive from 'kcfinder/config.php' (else KCfinder will recreate the .htaccess file)
'_check4htaccess' => true,
i.e. make it
// '_check4htaccess' => true,

Addendum:
On some servers you might find that the images get uploaded fine but the thumbnails do not appear in KCFinder (although the thumbnails do get created as could be verified by using a FTP client).

The reason is that, by default, the folder where KCFinder stores the thumbnails is named '.thumbs' (there is a dot in that). Some servers have a problem with this dot.

To rectify the problem, manually (using a FTP client) rename the '.thumbs' folder to something without a dot (say simply 'thumbs').
Then instruct KCFinder to use the new folder to store thumbnails.
This can be done by changing the following setting in 'kcfinder/config.php'
'thumbsDir' => ".thumbs",
Hi,

I have tried installing the new kc finder into an existing couch website, and modified the config.php file with the following:

// 25
// Set the following to '1' if you wish to use KCFinder as the default file-browser (will require PHP5 and modern browsers)
define( 'K_USE_KC_FINDER', 1 );

I have also added the KCfinder folder to the includes folder on the server.

For some reason when I then login to Couch through superadmin and try to upload an image, the old file manager still displays.

Is there something I am missing, or do I need to do anything to disable the old file manager?

Many thanks for your help.
Hello and welcome, dandan :)

Sorry for asking this but I'll have to double-check - which version of Couch are you using?
This new file manager will work only with Couch v1.4RC which is available for download here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7713

If you are using the correct version, if possible please PM me your site's access creds and I'll take a look at what is going on.

Thanks.
Thanks for the quick reply KK.

I have actually tried adding the KCfinder to version 1.3.5.

I'll try installing version 1.4 and see how I get on. I'll let you know the result.

Many thanks :)

EDIT: It works! Many thanks :D
Hi,

I've installed the includes files and even made sure they had the correct permissions, changed the value to 1 in the couch config file, but the plugin doesn't seem to be working (see screenshot). Have you experienced this before?

Thanks!

Attachments

Hi hcfusepointe,

Are you using a non-default port for the web-server (i.e. anything other than 80 or 443)?
I have seen this happen in such cases.

Please let me know.
Hi hcfusepointe,

Thank you for entrusting with your site's creds.

I had a look and the problem was this -
the way KCFinder works, it joins together all the .js files found in the 'couch/includes/kcfinder/js/browser/' folder to serve a single js file.

As it happens, when I had a look at the said folder I found each of the core .js file to have a companion file prefixed with "._" e.g.
._misc.js
._settings.js
._toolbar.js

These files were probably created by the Mac OSX system you used to copy files over to the server (the 'resource fork' files). Anyways, KCFinder was combining together these binary files too and this, obviously, led to script errors.

To rectify the problem, I deleted these '._' files and everything seems to be working fine now.
Please check and confirm.

Thanks.
A few questions from someone considering installing KCFinder in a new client site:

1) Is KCFinder going to be used as the 'default' file manager for the upcoming Couch 1.4.5?

2) Does KCFinder overcome the limitations imposed by CKEditor, which forced us to then have to use "nicedit" instead of "richtext" fields in certain contexts? Can we now forget about "nicedit", and just use "richtext" everywhere?

3) If not, is KCFinder available for "richtext" fields, "nicedit" fields, or both?

4) Can KCFinder be used for on-page editing?

5) Are there any caveats, apart from the possible problems already explained in the posts above?

Many thanks in advance.
Hi luxlogica,
I'll try to answer you queries -

1) Is KCFinder going to be used as the 'default' file manager for the upcoming Couch 1.4.5?
Yes.

2) Does KCFinder overcome the limitations imposed by CKEditor, which forced us to then have to use "nicedit" instead of "richtext" fields in certain contexts? Can we now forget about "nicedit", and just use "richtext" everywhere?
KCFinder is just a file-manager. It does nothing to add to or subtract from CKEditor's features or limitations. CKEditor cannot be used within repeatable-regions and using KCFinder will do nothing, I am afraid, to change that.

3) If not, is KCFinder available for "richtext" fields, "nicedit" fields, or both?
KCFinder is available everywhere where the older file-manager was available - so that would be the 'richtext', 'image' and 'file' fields. Nicedit never had a file-manager.

4) Can KCFinder be used for on-page editing?
On-page editing is a component of CKEditor. So, again, this question does not relate directly to KCFinder.

5) Are there any caveats, apart from the possible problems already explained in the posts above?
None that I know of :) I try to rectify/explain problems as they are reported.

Hope that answers your queries.
Thanks.
@kk, thank you for the answers!

I was getting KCFinder and Redactor (the new wysiwyg editor) mixed up! Doh! :oops:

Will KCFinder be used along with Redactor in 1.4.5?
50 posts Page 1 of 5