Important announcements from CouchCMS team
7 posts Page 1 of 1
CouchCMS finally emerges out of beta after being in it for a little over one month.
We are excited to release version 1.0.1 of CouchCMS today.

With this version, we now begin to offer commercial licenses. We have decided to price it at a very modest $39 per domain. This in line with our vision to make Couch a viable solution for even the most cash strapped projects. Of course, we'll continue to offer free licenses for personal and non-commercial projects.

We took note of every problem that was reported by our users trying out the beta version and have tried to rectify all of those in this version (except that of using Ioncube Loader, which is an uncomfortable necessity for us).

We have also tried to incorporate the features suggested by users to make Couch more useful to them.
Of all the changes made, the following two new features stand out -

1. CouchCMS is now rebrandable
Commercial license will now permit designers to replace CouchCMS's name and logo in the admin panel with that of their own business. Effectively, they can now rebrand CouchCMS as their very own. However, it is NOT permitted to modify the copyright notices present in the source code files.

2. CouchCMS now supports localization
Designers can now translate the strings used in the admin panel to their own language.
By default, Couch is shipping with German and French languages.

For documentation purpose, we are reproducing the text from the instruction files that ship with Couch -
CHANGELOG.txt
Code: Select all
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CouchCMS 1.0.1, 2010-01-11
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Added rebranding feature to CouchCMS.
  Users with commercial license can replace Couch's name and logos with that of their own business.
    * Added lines to config.example.php that can be changed by users to put their own info.

- Added Localization to admin panel
    * Strings used in admin panel now moved to separate file kept in 'lang' folder. 
        + Added three locales - EN (default), DE and FR.
        + Users can create their own language files.

- CKEditor
    * Fixed the bug where CKEditor did not appear on non-English locales.
    * Upgraded CKEditor to version 3.5.
    * Added CKEditor 'fr' and 'de' lang files. Rest can be downloaded from
      http://www.couchcms.com/ckeditor_lang.zip
    * Added 'spellchecker' as a valid toolbar button that can be used with 'custom_toolbar'
      parameter of 'editable' tag of type 'richtext'.
    * Added the provision of creating toolbar buttons not natively supported by 'richtext' type
      by prefixing their names with a '#' character.
      This can be used to create, for example, buttons like Scayt, BidiRtl, BidiLtr etc.
      by using them as follows:

custom_toolbar='cut,copy,paste,pastetext,-,spellchecker,#Scayt,#BidiRtl'

Note that these names are case-sensitive and should be used exactly as given in CKEditor docs.
      These buttons are not supported by Couch and might not work properly. Also they
      might need further tweaks to couch/includes/ckeditor/config.js file.

- Fixed some warnings that appeared in PasswordHash.php on hosts with paranoid level security
    * This was happening on hosts with functions getmypid and is_readable disabled.

- Added enforce_max parameter to 'editable' tag of type 'thumbnail'.
    * This will allow the created thumbnails.to be simply scaled instead of always being cropped.

- Modified 'start_on' parameter of 'pages' tag to use '>=' instead of '>'.
    * This will cause the tag to fetch pages that match the exact time given in 'start_on' also.

- Added 'return_url', 'cancel_url' and 'custom' parameters to 'paypal_button' tag.

- Added 'cc' and 'bcc' parameters to 'send_mail' tag.

INSTALL.txt
REQUIREMENTS
------------
Please see http://www.couchcms.com/docs/requirements.html

INSTALLATION
------------
Please see http://www.couchcms.com/docs/tutorials/portfolio-site/building-a-real-world-site.html

REBRANDING
----------
In couch/config.php, find the following lines and
uncomment the ones containing 'define' (i.e. remove the '//' prefixed to 'define') and add your own info -

// 23a. Company Logo on light background  (Max. 171 x 64 pixels. Needs to be placed within 'couch/theme/images/' folder)
    //define( 'K_LOGO_LIGHT', 'couch.gif' );

// 23b. Company Logo on dark background  (Max. 171 x 64 pixels. Needs to be placed within 'couch/theme/images/' folder)
    //define( 'K_LOGO_DARK', 'couch_dark.gif' );

// 23c. Footer content (Company name and link)
    //define( 'K_ADMIN_FOOTER', '<a href="http://www.yourcompany.com">COMPANY NAME</a>' );

LOCALIZING THE ADMIN PANEL
--------------------------
The default locale of Couch's admin panel is English.
It can be localized to German or French languages by changing the following
line in couch/config.php -

define( 'K_ADMIN_LANG', 'EN' );

to 'DE' for German or 'FR' for French.
Both these locales have their respective language files (DE.php, FR.php) present in couch/lang/ folder.
For locales other than these, any of these files can be renamed and modified to create the locale that suits you.

LOCALIZING CKEDITOR
-------------------
CKEditor used with richtext type editable regions can also be localized to German or French by changing.
the following line in couch/includes/ckeditor/config.js -

config.language = 'en';

to 'de' for German or 'fr' for French.
Both these locales have their respective language files (de.js, fr.js) present in couch/includes/ckeditor/lang/ folder.
For locales other than these, You can download the corresponding language file from 
http://www.couchcms.com/ckeditor_lang.zip

UPGRADE.txt

UPGRADING
---------

For upgarding from version 1.0.0 to 1.0.1:

1.  Unzip 'couchcms-1.0.1.zip' file to local system. Within the 'couchcms-1.0.1' folder thus
    extracted will be found a folder named 'couch'.
    From within this 'couch' folder' -
    a.  Delete 'snippets' and 'uploads' folders.
    b.  Delete 'config.example.php' file.
    c.  If you already have a full unlimited license on your website,
        delete the 'couch.lic' license file.
2.  Upload the remaining contents of 'couch' folder to your existing installation's 'couch'
    folder (or whatever you might have renamed it to).
    This way we'll be overwriting all existing Couch core files with the newer version
    while preserving anything you might have added to 'snippets' and 'uploads' folder.
    No change is required to the database.
3.  Finally open the 'config.php' present within your installation and append the following
    lines to it:

// 22.
        // Language used for localization of admin panel. Needs to have a corresponding language file in couch folder.
        // Change to 'DE' for German or 'FR' for French.
        define( 'K_ADMIN_LANG', 'EN' );

// 23.
        // Rebranding. Uncomment the following defines and add your info.
        // 23a. Company Logo on light background  (Max. 171 x 64 pixels. Needs to be placed within 'couch/theme/images/' folder)
        //define( 'K_LOGO_LIGHT', 'couch.gif' );

// 23b. Company Logo on dark background  (Max. 171 x 64 pixels. Needs to be placed within 'couch/theme/images/' folder)
        //define( 'K_LOGO_DARK', 'couch_dark.gif' );

// 23c. Footer content (Company name and link)
        //define( 'K_ADMIN_FOOTER', '<a href="http://www.yourcompany.com">COMPANY NAME</a>' );

4.  You can change the 'EN' to 'DE' for German locale or 'FR' for French locale.
    You can uncomment the other 'defines' and add your company's info to rebrand CouchCMS.

Finally, a heart-felt thanks to everybody for giving us their immense support. We'd like to particularly thank Thomas Klaiber, Manfred Timm and Jérome MILLOT - thank you gentlemen, your help was invaluable :)
First off Id like to say congratulations. Couch is finally taking off.
Second Id like to say that I was unable to change the footer. I uncommented the define for it and simple changed it to something random for testing. I saved the file and then I went back and refreshed the page and nothing seemed to change. I could be wrong so what exactly should it have changed?
@hey101

If you see in the changelog it says this:

- Added rebranding feature to CouchCMS.
Users with commercial license can replace Couch's name and logos with that of their own business.
* Added lines to config.example.php that can be changed by users to put their own info.

Meaning unless you have purchased a Commercial License, the rebranding feature won't work / do any change :) Hope this clears it up!
gSvoren Design - http://gsvoren.net
@hey101 As gSvoren explained, this feature will require a commercial license.
i cant believe i completely missed that. I know I read the change log, but I guess that word just never registered in my head. Sorry about that.
Hey don't be sorry, buddy! It happens to all of us. I actually had to re-read it to get it myself :-)
gSvoren Design - http://gsvoren.net
Great work, I test it quickly !
7 posts Page 1 of 1