Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
In July I was promoted to a web developer position at my company. The previous web developer setup our web site with Couch as the CMS. I'm trying to update a product page, but when I click "save" within the Admin Panel, I am directed to our web site's 404 page. When I go back and refresh the page, the changes appear to be saved within the admin panel, but the changes are not being saved when I check our live site. When I navigate back to the page to edit it in the Admin Panel again, the changes that seemed to have been saved before, have reverted back to how they were originally. So this means that the SQL table is not being updated.

It seems like it should be working because even though I am directed to our 404 page, the url is still within the couch directory, and there are token values appended to the url. So I'm confused as to why I'm ended up at our 404 page.

I tried to make these changes manually by navigating the couch SQL tables, but with the massive size of our web site, I am not finding the content that needs to be changed.

I should mention that the page is cloneable, and has folders that separate the product categories.

There are 116 pages on the list, and this is the ONLY page that has this problem, and I was wondering if someone could tell me why this might be happening, and how I can troubleshoot the problem?
Hi,

This is weird as out of 116 pages this particular page is the only one displaying this anomaly.

I suggest you try the following -
create a new cloned page and input into it the exact data that the problem page has.
Do it piece-meal - one region at a time, saving at every step.
Chances are you'll hit the same issue at some step.
If you do, scrutinize the latest input data. It could possible contain some word that is being rejected by the server (hardened PHP like suhosin do this). This will pin-point the problem.

In case you don't get the problem, go ahead and delete the problem page and rename this new page to make replace the original one.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted.
Thank you for your suggestion, and sorry it took a while for my reply. I did what you suggested and I think you were spot on. I created a new page and began copying and pasting each field, saving the page between every copy and paste. I was able to save it without any problems, until I pasted a paragraph into a rich text field. I received a 404, but at least I was able to pinpoint which part was causing the error.

From there I would type a word at a time, and save the page. By doing this, I determined that the word being rejected is "t-slots". Do you have any idea why this word might cause the PHP server to reject it? Could it be because "t-slots" is also part of the page name? I was able to put quotes around the word, and that seem to make it bypass the word, and save properly. Ideally I don't want the word "t-slots" to have quotes around it, as our marketing manager is a hawk when it comes to words, punctuation, and paragraphs. :) I'll continue to play around with it, but wanted to share my experience.

Thanks again! Any additional ideas are greatly appreciated.

***UPDATE***
I was able to get rid of the quotes around the word t-slot and replace the dash with the following:

t–slot

This is good enough for me!
@tylired :

Bro, do you use 'ModSecurity' on your webserver?
As soon as possible!

Touch me up : abada[dot]zulma[at]gmail[dot]com
@tylired, thanks for the update.

As @GoingMarryAsap mentioned (and so did I in my original post), there has to be some kind of 'security' addon on the server that is responsible for this problem. I can only assure you that it has nothing to do with Couch, per se.
I wasn't sure if we had ModSecurity on our web server, so I asked our IT department. It turns out that we use Micronovae Mod Rewrite instead. So it's possible we may have created some rule years ago that was conflicting with the update.
tylired wrote: I wasn't sure if we had ModSecurity on our web server, so I asked our IT department. It turns out that we use Micronovae Mod Rewrite instead. So it's possible we may have created some rule years ago that was conflicting with the update.

Is it Micronovae Mod Rewrite, something that manage url rewrite?

If you can, please check if ModSecurity or any similiar tools installed on your web server. If something like that installed on your web server, try to disable it, and check again your ckeditor.
As soon as possible!

Touch me up : abada[dot]zulma[at]gmail[dot]com
Hello everyone
I have the same problem - when trying to edit some (not all) pages, a 404 error is displayed ...!

I have a lot of hosting accounts on different servers in different hosting companies.
I notice this problem with almost all of the my Couch sites.
The problem is always in ModSecurity ! For this reason, all my sites work with disconnected ModSecurity.

My question is - whether it does not endanger the security of the site?

Thank you
@orbital, security is good but when it gets paranoid (as is the case with mod_security e.g. rejecting wholesale posts containing the word 'system' anywhere). I think we have to make a choice between an ultra-secure but non-functioning site or a fairly secure functioning one..

Couch tries its best to keep things secure for you so I don't think it mandatorily requires an addon to help with it.
Any additional help is welcome but it shouldn't be so invasive as to break straightforward operations.
Thanks for the practical answer KK,

I fully agree with your thesis, but the hosting company told me that banning the ModSecurity is dangerous.
Probably the same problem exists with other CMS - I do not know that ...

I think the best CMS is Couch, thank you very much :)
10 posts Page 1 of 1