Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
I understand that couch has recently seen a big improvement in members. What I'm trying to understand better, is how this looks in practice. Are we talking stricly access to the back end?

I want to create client galleries that are password protected. All they see is a nicely designed front end with a login screen, then after logging in, they see their gallery.

How do you do this? Does anyone have an actual working example I can take a look at?
Hi cardmaverick,

Are we talking stricly access to the back end?
Quite on the contrary, we are talking strictly about access to the front-end :)

Both the 'members' module (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8063) and the 'Extended users' module create user accounts that can only access the front-end.

All they see is a nicely designed front end with a login screen, then after logging in, they see their gallery.
The scenario you described is precisely what both the modules were created for.

Does anyone have an actual working example I can take a look at?
Both modules come with complete working examples. Please check them our and let us know if there is something that still remains unclear to you.

Thanks.
Ok great! Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I only have one other question. I was reading the documentation on users, I suspect the original, pre members module documentation, and it seemed that if a user had X level of site access, they could see any other page rated for that level of access. Is this still true with the new members module, or is that now solved? Ideally I'd love to have a new set of menu items appear that are relevant to only the user logging into the site.
Site level access works in the way you suggest. But you can also restrict access to a particular user using the cms:if tag. User names and access levels are tools the cms provides. It's up to you how you use them.
I've recently come to realize how to restrict pages to certain users, what I'm trying to do now is implement a more automated way of listing the users in the extended folder, and then getting an If statement to control access, what I can't seem to figure out though is how to pull selection information out of that relations tag. A normal checkbox and options combo I can get working, but I can't seem to make this work with relations :(
5 posts Page 1 of 1