Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
hi, my client got in touch today to report a problem on his website. There is a cloneable Events template events.php with a dropdown to select a venue for an event :
Code: Select all
<cms:editable name="event_venue" label="Venue" desc="Select one from these" opt_values='list_venues.html' dynamic='opt_values' type='dropdown' order='25' />

list_venues.html is
<cms:pages masterpage='venue_details.php'>
   <cms:show k_page_title  />|
</cms:pages>

and venue_details.php is
<?php require_once( 'admin/cms.php' ); ?>

<cms:template title='Add/Amend a venue' clonable='1' executable='0' commentable='0' order='50'>

<cms:editable name='venue_photo' label='Venue photo' desc='Upload venue photo' type='image' show_preview='1'   preview_width='50'  order='30'/>

<cms:editable name='venue_description' type='richtext' label='Venue description'  height='100' order='45'/>

<cms:editable name='venue_address' type='textarea' label='Venue address'  height='100' order='60'/>

<cms:editable name='transport_links' type='richtext' label='Transport links'  height='75' order='75'/>

<cms:editable name='venue_miscellaneous' type='richtext' label='Miscellaneous Info' height='100' order='90'/>

</cms:template>
<?php COUCH::invoke(); ?>

There is a venue titled
St John's Downshire Hill
and 2 of the events on the website were not showing the venue with <cms:show event_venue /> - just a blank on the website. Other events were showing the venue.

After a bit of investigation I worked out that it is the apostrophe in the venue title that is causing the problem. And the problem must have manifested itselft after I recently upgraded the site to Couch 1.4 and PHP 5.5.

If I re-save an event which is showing the venue correctly as
St John's Downshire Hill
it will then gain the problem and show nothing.

I set up another venue
St Johns Downshire Hill
i.e. without the quote and it works OK.

A small thing but obviously a bit bewildering for the client!
Hi,

It is always desirable to save the values as k_page_name or k_page_id (as opposed to k_page_title, as in your, case) - this preempts such problems as the two can only have safe characters.

Instead of using the following in list_venues.html
   <cms:show k_page_title  />|
</cms:pages

- please use the following
   <cms:show k_page_title  />=<cms:show k_page_id />|

The code above will display the titles but will save the ids.

On the front end, we can fetch the title as follows -
<cms:pages masterpage='venue_details.php' id=event_venue limit='1' >
   <cms:show k_page_title  />
   .. other details also available here ..

This will have the added benefit of allowing us fetch full info about the venue, and not just the name.

Does this help?
thanks KK - I'll switch to your suggested method to avoid problems. Since we only want the venue name in the event listing (there is a separate page listing full venue details) the method that worked up til recently seemed the obvious way to do it. I'm not sure I understand why an editable dropdown region cannot save an apostrophe any more - I guess it's something behind the scenes?!
3 posts Page 1 of 1