Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello Couchies!!!
I am trying to learn a bit of SEO and in the moment I am "cleaning" my website from duplicate content, using siteliner.com

One of the things I encountered was, that the excerpts of individual blog postings, that were used in the list-view (that is paginated), were counted as duplicate content.
What I did was, I changed robots meta tag for the list view to "noindex,follow" and that solved the problem. That reduced duplicated content from some 70% to 13%

I wonder, and maybe there is anyone how would know the answer, why this issue was not solved when I first let list-view be indexed, but wrote in the page template (for the page view) the following:

<link rel="canonical" href="<cms:show k_page_link />" />

As I understand, the rel="canonical" is telling the search engine "this is the authorized URL", and not the link of the list-view that cites the part of the text….but that seems not to work

Well, I wonder why?

thanks in advance

Tanja
I am passing this question on to others better versed in SEO :)
hi,

why this issue was not solved when I first let list-view be indexed, but wrote in the page template (for the page view) the following:

<link rel="canonical" href="<cms:show k_page_link />" />

If you would use this (canonical) in your list view then it would give you the expected result. Don't use the noindex tag if you use the canonical. Maybe this link http://moz.com/learn/seo/canonicalization will help you somewhat.
I load frameworks and write bugs on top of them, after that I rearrange the code so that it looks like a cool product.
Hi Tomarnst!

Thanks for your reply and the link... I am just reading a book written by a guy from moz.org :-)
My aim was to have pages to be canonical, not the list-view, as they contain the whole content...I do not think that I was mixing noindex with canonical, as the page would not be indexed at all in such a case...anyway, I still do not get why it was not working when used on pages...

But finally, I deleted the excerpt text from the list-view and instructed robots to index it, so I avoid duplicate content that way and have all indexed...

best regards

Tanja
4 posts Page 1 of 1