Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
How would I go about moving a site from one Server to another? Without losing the data in the mysql-Database?

The problem I'm facing is this: I have a site that has been up and running for several years. Without a CMS. I update it manually in the html-files.
Now I want to make a couch-Site out of it. For the transition to be seamless i have to build the whole Couch-Site on a Test-Server. Then test it and once it's Ok I can move it to the real Server.
I think i would have to somehow move the mysql-Database along with the whole html- and php-files to the other Server. Can anybody point me towards what I have to do to accomplish this and what problems might occur?

Thanks for any Tips.
hi Tobi - have a look here http://www.couchcms.com/docs/miscellaneous/migrating-from-development-to-deployment-server.html - it will give you some info on using gen_dump.php to create a file of your data. In brief - you put the resulting file install_ex.php within the Couch folder and when you install Couch on the new server (having created your new database and set up the config file appropriately) hey presto your data will be added to the database for you.
Thanks a lot, potato. I think that's what I was looking for.

Just one more questions you might have a quick answer to:
What do yoou mean by "set up the config file appropriately"? Which file is this, where is it located and what are the appropriate settings?

Sorry, but his php- and mysql-Stuff scares me.
hi again Tobi - the config.php file is in the Couch folder - amongst other things, it has the details of your database - name, username, password, hostname. Good luck!
Thanks a lot, Mr. potato head! :)
It worked very smoothly.
Only thing I had to do additionally was copy the images in the couch-upload-images folder manually.
5 posts Page 1 of 1