Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I recently downloaded CouchCMS because what I read and heard about it were AWESOME. Anyway, I changed everything in the config.php, transferred the couch folder by ftp to a folder called "admin" and went to website.com/admin/. It came up with the 404 error. So I retried and didn't rename the folder to "admin". Still didn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I do have an idea however. I currently have 2 domains on godaddy, and just today, I made a database (MySQL). During the "information-entering-step", it never once asked me to specify which domain I wanted the MySQL database linked to. I don't know if it is linked to this domain, or the other one, and I don't even know if that is related to this problem. Could someone explain this to me? I'm very confused with all of this.
Hello and welcome Arvin,

From what I can see you haven't done anything incorrect, so please try visit yoursite.com/admin/couch/ instead of yoursite.com/admin/. I was able to access the installation page when I did this for your domain. You may wish however to move the contents of admin/couch to the admin folder to shorten the URL. Let me know. ;)
ahhhhhh, I see. Thank you so much. Athough, can you explain this MySQL stuff to me? I still don't understand it, even if it is completely unrelated.
Also, is there a way to change the "super-admin-account" that is made initially during installation? I don't want to start installing now, and my client is unable to change it. I know, stupid question, but I need to get this down first try.
ArvinWebDesign wrote: Also, is there a way to change the "super-admin-account" that is made initially during installation? I don't want to start installing now, and my client is unable to change it. I know, stupid question, but I need to get this down first try.

You can edit the super-admin-account just as you would edit a normal account - name, display name, email and password can be changed from the admin panel.

But I guess you wouldn't want to give your client the super-admin credentials, as this is account is meant as the developer-account, with which you can make changes to the code and apply them to Couch. A normal admin account would fit better for your client.
ArvinWebDesign wrote: .. can you explain this MySQL stuff to me? I still don't understand it, even if it is completely unrelated.

I see that you are confused about which of the two domains your database is associated with.

The answer is - the database is not associated with any domain.
For all practical purposes, the database is a separate entity from your website(s) altogether - in the sense that it can reside on a very different machine, have a different IP address etc. from your websites.

While setting up an application on a website (e.g. Couch), we inform the application where it can find the database (i.e. it is not the other way round. The database itself remains agnostic of the application accessing it). In Couch it is this setting in config -
Code: Select all
// 7.
// MySQL hostname (it will usually be 'localhost' )
define( 'K_DB_HOST', 'localhost' );

The 'localhost' above could be the IP address (or name) of the machine where the database resides. This info is provided to you by your web host.

There could be many databases on the location we specified above, so we also have to specify the 'name' of the database (you gave this name to the database while creating it)-
// 4.
// Name of the database
define( 'K_DB_NAME', 'database_name' );

Since, as we have seen, the database can be contacted by any application, as a security measure the database allows only those applications to access it that know its name and password (once again, while creating the database it is you who sets this)
// 5.
// Database username
define( 'K_DB_USER', 'database_username' );
// 6.
// Database password
define( 'K_DB_PASSWORD', 'database_password' );

That is all that you need to know about configuring databases.

To put a finer point on it - suppose you install Couch on both your domains - both the instances of Couch (i.e. both domains) can use the same database.

Of course, since by default Couch of each domain will try to store its data in the same tables of the database it will lead to unexpected results.

To cater to this possibility, we can ask each of the two instances to create tables of different names in the same database. This is done by setting a table prefix -
// 7b.
// Needed only if multiple instances of this CMS are to be installed in the same database
// (please use only alphanumeric characters or underscore (NO hyphen) )
define( 'K_DB_TABLES_PREFIX', '' );

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Wow! Thanks so much KK! It makes alot more sense now. I have linked both of the domains to CouchCMS, but with different databases for each one! Thank you for your help!
7 posts Page 1 of 1