Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
hello ... on moving my latest site up to the webhost's server I switched on pretty URLs. The url is being rewritten, but apart from the home page every other page returns a 404.

The site is within a folder called 'web' (a requirement with this host it seems) and I have tried setting RewriteBase to various values (/ /web /web/) - with no joy. I've cleared cache, I've created and re-created the .htaccess file and cannot get beyond these 404s!

I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? Any suggestions please?

Many thanks!
maybe you are as unlucky as me and your provider has a apache version lower than 2.0
Hi Potato,

As @cl said, an older (ancient?) version of Apache could be a problem.
Another problem could be that mod_rewrite (Apache's prettyURL module) is not enabled at your host.
Anyways, could you PM me over the FTP creds to your site? Let me see if there is something we can do to fix this problem.

Thanks.
Thanks @cl @KK - cl's comment prompted me to look into the server at Names.co.uk. I used this site http://uptime.netcraft.com/ which tells me that the Names.co.uk server is Zeus/4.3.

Well I've never heard of Zeus and Wikipedia says of it
Zeus Web Server seems to be dead since it hasn't been updated since January 2010, and the company no longer offers a similar server solution.

So I wonder why Names.co.uk is using Zeus and not Apache?

KK if you think that this is the cause of the failure of pretty URLs there is no need for you to waste any more precious time investigating?

It may be that Zeus is the cause of the random 500 Internal Server Errors I am experiencing on the site. What do you think? I may put a case to the client for changing web hosts.
Code: Select all
I may put a case to the client for changing web hosts.

I think that would be the best thing to do in this case.
5 posts Page 1 of 1