Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Just so you know, this is a different problem that my previous post here.

I have Couch installed on my website http://www.xyz.com. It has been working great for a while, I've used it for a small blog and portfolio. Suddenly tho, when I now go to the website Couch is just giving me a "Installation Required" error message. I have obviously installed Couch before and it was working perfectly. If I try to go through the installation process again it just says "Installation failed! Table "couch_comments" already exists".

Any idea what the reason for this could be? Is it my host that have changed something again all of a sudden?
Hi,

It seems your database is corrupt.
When Couch executes it does not find some tables/records it expects to exist and thinks we are trying a new installation. The new installation routine finds some of the previous tables existing and aborts.

I think it is time for you to use a backup of your database (I hope you have been taking those).
If not, I am not sure to what extent the corruption is. PM me your CPanel creds and I could try salvaging what I can.

Thanks
Hi again and thanks for your reply.

I figured something had been broken, and in all honesty its not such a big deal for me to "start over", cus I've only had a few blogs and portfolio items on there.

Would it be better/easier to just reinstall Couch on a new fresh database? If I do that do you think everything will work as it used to? Cus I've made all the changes to the .php/.html files etc. If I create a new super-admin, and do the usual steps of going to the different pages while logged in, will everything come back as normal? except for the blog and portfolio items of course.

Sorry for my bad english, don't really know how to explain myself properly on this one.
Hi,

You can do a fresh install of Couch -
simply find the following line in config.php and give a value
define( 'K_DB_TABLES_PREFIX', '' );

This will create a new set of tables in the same database using the provided prefix.

Revisit your templates as super-admin to add them once again to Couch and then create you content afresh.

However, before beginning all over again, please send me your CPanel creds - there still could be some way of rectifying the problem.

Thanks
Thanks for the creds.

I had a look and it seems something has gone wrong drastically - only one out of the eleven tables in Couch is present. The rest have disappeared completely.

So, I am afraid there is nothing to salvage and you'll have to do a fresh install and recreate lost content.

Please do keep taking regular backups - almost every host allows automatic backups to be scheduled.

Thanks
Okay thanks for checking that out. I'm not very happy with this host at all. How can it just disappear like that? If I was running a big site the host would obviously be in trouble, or am I wrong?
Yes, you have all the reasons to be worried about. Data shouldn't just disappear into thin air.
Nevertheless, even with the best of hosts, these things do happen and then you only have a backup to fall upon.
It cannot be stressed enough - nothing, nothing at all can take the place of a regular backup.
7 posts Page 1 of 1