Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
I've just been reading through the documentation for the new v1.3 features. Repeatable regions will be very useful indeed. I have a Couch site live which has a Discography page - for now it is not updateable using Couch, but it is an ideal candidate for repeatable regions.

However each discography entry/repeatable region would consist of quite a number of editable regions: an image with an array of image links below it in the left column. In the right column there is a main heading, some sub headings, a quote and a quote source. Because I would like to ensure the styling remains consistent I would prefer to set these text items up as separate editable regions - so quite a few.

Have I understood the documentation correctly ...
Since all the editable regions forming the 'repeatable unit' appear side-by-side in a single row, you'll want to have more control over how wide individual region appears in a row.

Does this mean that all my editable regions will be shown in the admin panel in a single row? If so it may get a bit squashed ... or will the regions simply flow beneath when the col_width is exceeded?

Extra thought [added] ...
Before repeatable regions, I would have created a clonable template for a discography entry and then listed each one on the discography page. I wonder if in some circumstances this is still the preferred method?
Hi potato,

Does this mean that all my editable regions will be shown in the admin panel in a single row? If so it may get a bit squashed ... or will the regions simply flow beneath when the col_width is exceeded?

The 'repeatable regions' concept mimics the HTML table structure - all the editable regions set to repeat form a table 'row' where each individual region is a 'cell'.
The entire row can be repeated any number of times to form the 'table'.
So, to answer your query, yes each set of regions will be shown in a single row - but it won't get squashed. You'll get a horizontal scroll bar instead. By default the 'cells' are of equal widths. This behaviour can be overridden using the 'col_width' parameter.

Before repeatable regions, I would have created a clonable template for a discography entry and then listed each one on the discography page. I wonder if in some circumstances this is still the preferred method?

If the discography page is a single page, we can very well use another template's cloned pages to create a table that gets shown on it.
However, if there are several cloned pages of it, this approach will understandably not work (atleast not without going through the hoops).

So if both the methods work for you in a particular situation, it is really your choice to go with whichever suits you better.

Hope this answers your questions.
ah I see - a repeatable region will always be a row of an HTML table - got it - thanks!
3 posts Page 1 of 1