Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I should probably start with the fact that in Chrome the text editor for the editable regions just doesn't show up. OS: Windows 7, Ultimate. However this isn't my biggest problem.

Started doing the tutorial (best way to really get what this CMS is about and capable of) and to my surprise and frustrations, I can't get passed the "about.php" chapter, for one simple reason: the moment I input any text (on Firefox since Chrome ain't workin') in the main content area, the resulting page just goes nuts and all formatting goes to hell. So, anything wrong with my code?

<!-- Column 1 / Content -->
<cms:editable name='main_content' type='richtext'>
<div class="grid_8">
<h4 class="page_title">Our mission</h4>
<div class="hr dotted clearfix">&nbsp;</div>
<p><i>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.</i></p>
<h4 class="page_title">So who are we?</h4>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.</p>
<h4 class="page_title">Staff</h4>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.</p>
<h4 class="page_title">Clients</h4>

</div>
</cms:editable>
<!-- Column 2 / Sidebar -->

I'm starting to go nuts here... :(
attilavago wrote: I should probably start with the fact that in Chrome the text editor for the editable regions just doesn't show up. OS: Windows 7, Ultimate. However this isn't my biggest problem.

Started doing the tutorial (best way to really get what this CMS is about and capable of) and to my surprise and frustrations, I can't get passed the "about.php" chapter, for one simple reason: the moment I input any text (on Firefox since Chrome ain't workin') in the main content area, the resulting page just goes nuts and all formatting goes to hell. So, anything wrong with my code?

<!-- Column 1 / Content -->
<cms:editable name='main_content' type='richtext'>
<div class="grid_8">
<h4 class="page_title">Our mission</h4>
<p><i>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla vel diam id mauris accumsan egestas. Sed sed lorem. Integer id mi vel sapien fermentum vehicula. Pellentesque vitae lacus a sem posuere fringilla. Vestibulum dolor. Phasellus cursus augue ac purus. Curabitur faucibus. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas.</i></p>
<h4 class="page_title">So who are we?</h4>
<h4 class="page_title">Staff</h4>
<h4 class="page_title">Clients</h4>

</div>
<!-- Column 2 / Sidebar -->

I'm starting to go nuts here... :(

Me again... :D Just couldn't give up so I decided since I have some coding knowledge to move the cms lines up, not to include the div tag. I just felt a hunch to do it, maybe my coder subconscious or smth, so I did it and voila it works as intended. I am happy about that, however that still begs the question whether the tutorial is correct or not. Also the Chrome issue is still very real and persistent. :|
Hi attilavago,

Could you please let us know more about the platform you are trying to use Couch on? I mean, is it on your local machine with XAMPP/WAMPServer/UniServer or is it on a hosted server etc.

There is now reason why Couch wouldn't work on Chrome (trust me on this, we have hundreds of live sites using Couch and Chrome is the most used browser out there).

From my own experience I can say that XAMPP has some serious issues on local machine. It occasionally serves up incomplete files and this causes CKEditor to balk.
WAMPServer is slightly better but it also not completely smooth.
UniServer (the one bundled with the portable version of Couch) seems to be the best of the three IMHO, and we usually do all our test sites on before going live.

Anyways, if possible please try out Couch on a hosted server for the real results.
If you are already online do feel free to PM me your site's FTP/Couch creds and I am sure we'll be able to help in straightening out things.

Thanks
Regarding the code in tutorial -
<cms:editable name='sidebar_content' type='richtext'>
<div class="grid_4">
</div>

- the class="grid_4" has CSS styles attached which are structurally very important.

So long as the user edits only the enclosed contents things would be ok but if he manages to inadvertently edit and remove the main div itself the CSS of the page will get messed up.

I agree with you - this div is too important to be open to editing. The best way here would be to enclose only its contents within the editable region.

Thank you for pointing this out.
I've noted this down and will make the necessary changes to the tutorial.

As for the Chrome issue, as I mentioned in the post above it is usually due to the web server dishing out incomplete files. Take a look at the 'Inspect element' (firebug equivalent of Chrome) and you should see some errors showing up - probably 'CKEditor not defined').
Please let me know.

Thanks again.
It's on a hosted server. I did try it for like 2 minutes on XAMPP but got blank page at installation and moved to hosed server (I have a few subscriptions). Regarding Chrome, well, you kinda' should trust me when I say, the text editor ain't workin ... It's blank space instead. If you need a screenshot I can gladly provide one.

LE: yes, the error is the following:
Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token
Uncaught ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined
Uncaught ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined
I never said I did not trust you when you said CKEditor wasn't working :)
I only told you what could possibly be going wrong.

Just as I suspected, the Server is not giving back the complete JS file.
It is good that you are on a hosted server.
If you could PM me your FTP + Couch creds I'd be happy to login and find what is going wrong.

Thanks
6 posts Page 1 of 1