Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
good afternoon!

I'm planning ahead for an upcoming site for a small business offering music programmes for schools. On the Programmes page, all the programmes will be listed, with each entry in the list linking to a full details page. Additionally there will be 'category' navigation - to allow the visitor to look at a selection of programmes of particular interest e.g. "Concerts in a day".

I strongly suspect that there will be programmes that fit into more than one category. So, I've been reading up on this in the blog tutorial and found this:

The categories of the blog section can be handled using virtual folders but please keep in mind that you'll only be able to place a blog entry in a single category.

and in the forums there is some complex discussion on categories in this post:

http://www.couchcms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3682&p=4838&hilit=categories#p4838

Am I right in thinking that a programme cannot be included in more than one category/folder? Or is there a way of nesting folders to achieve this?

Thanks.
Hi potato,

In Couch, folders are primarily meant to create SEO friendly URLs (by virtue of their entire hierarchy appearing in the URL of a page).
They were modeled after real-world folders and accordingly a page can only be within one folder at any given time (keep SEO in mind and you'll get the logic of it - we won't want a page to have multiple URLs).

Of course, folders can also be used to categorize pages but the 'one page / one folder' limitation remains.

However, the upcoming version of Couch (1.3) has an exciting new feature of 'Relations' where we can relate pages of one template with pages of another template e.g. artists to albums or products to manufactures.

We can also use this feature for categorization of pages by, for example, using a template to create the categories (where each cloned page represents a category e.g. 'nike', 'adidas' of 'manufactures.php' ) and then relating pages of another template (e.g. 'shoes', 'jackets' of products.php) to any number of manufactures.

Couch 1.3 is ready (actually has been ready for quite some time now - just cannot find the time to complete the documentation) and should see the light of day anytime very soon.

So please wait for a little while and you'll be able to put the 'music programmes' into multiple categories quite easily.

Thanks.
thanks KK, exciting news re Couch 1.3, looking forward to it - sounds like you need to be able to clone yourself!
Hello I tried to add virtual folders to my page .. It's getting displayed in admin too and in admin when i clicked on my cloned page i can see a drop down created saying filter accordingly with the categories i mentioned as the options in dropdown. But where as while editing or adding a new page I can't find the folder option in 'advanced settings' like it was told in tutorial what might be the problem? can anyone tell me please..
Hi,

Since v1.2 the folders dropdown has moved from the (relatively obscure) advanced-settings dropdrown to be placed more prominently on the main edit screen itself.

Click on any cloned page to edit it and take a look just below the 'name' textbox and you should find it there.
oopz.. you're right n I was fighting with it from long :(
anyway thanks KK .. ur replying fast and it's really great support!!
also another doubt.. can we upload .htaccess files in a sub-folder? because i have kept couch for a subfolder for testing and i want to check how pretty urls will work .. now should i upload .htaccess file in main root or should i upload it in the sub-folder ?

My couch is like in MYDOMAINNAME.com/TEST
now i have my running site in mydomainname with wordpress which I'm planning to remove it if couch works.. I dont feel necessity of wordpress for me if this works..so now where should i upload .htaccess?
The .htaccess file should be kept in the parent folder of your couch folder - this is usually the root of your site but if Couch is installed in a subfolder (like in your case) this would be the subfolder.
If, for example, your test site is
MYDOMAINNAME.com/TEST
Your Couch installation would be
MYDOMAINNAME.com/TEST/couch/
so the .htaccess should go within the /TEST folder.

The presence of another .htaccess in the root (as with Wordpress in your case) may clash with Couch's .htaccess. If this so, you should remove/rename the root .htaccess temporarily.

Hope this helps.
NO it's not working, I have renamed that .htaccess file to sumother name in the root directory and i kept it in sub-folder TEST like you said.. but it's still not working.. I enabled in config.php by making pretty urls to 1 and then genrated .htaccess code n placed. Do i miss anything ? .. Please if this one problem solved i can go head with implementing. Everything working fine just these urls..
Finally I got it..Its working :) but can't we keep the folder name starting with Caps? because i have few subfolders which are starting with Caps so if the generated urls take a caps letter in virtual folder .. it will set my paths correctly.. ex : domain/Folder not domain/folder

And also I would like to hide cloned page from url.. because I want that only for accesss purpose to admin panel.. I dont want to display that in url.. I just need a url likee this : domain/virtual-folder/url-as-defined
18 posts Page 1 of 2