Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

Got a quick question about updating a page, lets say i re-design a website, so lets say the index page, which will update no problem, then edit the blogs page, so how it is laid out, and the posts page, but we have already got posts, i dont want to lose them however i want it to be updated..

Want a move things around and make it look much better.. Just open the page in dreamweaver re-edit the back, make sure the codes in and re-load it within the FTP Control, then what would i do?

Also if i add extra fields, editable items, will this load into the old posts?
Hi Simon,

The way I understand the problem -

You wish to make changes to the physical 'templates' (*.php files) and wish to know what happens to the existing data (posts) in the database. Right?

Well, suppose the original template had 3 editable regions - my_intro, my_post and my_image, so long as the new template retains the definition of the three regions, you can make any change you desire.
If, by mistake perhaps, you remove any of the editable region from the modified template, that editable region will be 'marked' as deleted by Couch - i.e. will be shown disabled and in red color in the admin panel - but it will not be removed until you confirm the removal.
So you can make the changes without fear.
However, it is always a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

If as a part of the modification you add new regions, the old posts will also pick up the new regions but, understandably, will have no data.

Hope that answers the questions.
KK wrote: Hi Simon,

The way I understand the problem -

You wish to make changes to the physical 'templates' (*.php files) and wish to know what happens to the existing data (posts) in the database. Right?

Well, suppose the original template had 3 editable regions - my_intro, my_post and my_image, so long as the new template retains the definition of the three regions, you can make any change you desire.
If, by mistake perhaps, you remove any of the editable region from the modified template, that editable region will be 'marked' as deleted by Couch - i.e. will be shown disabled and in red color in the admin panel - but it will not be removed until you confirm the removal.
So you can make the changes without fear.
However, it is always a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

If as a part of the modification you add new regions, the old posts will also pick up the new regions but, understandably, will have no data.

Hope that answers the questions.

backed up ect which i do each week anyways, just incase my staff do make new posts and somehow delete some, there muppets that need the sack :lol:

I've done my research, google Magazine's such as Fastford mag, Redline Mag, Fastcar mag, performance ford ect they are all using the same layout, kinda anyways with the same sort of dark colors, its not going to work for us, its our revials atm, so a different website is needed, so a total re-design needs tobe done.

Got the old website i will re-imput the code for, no probs.. just a few more issues in the other post i wanted to outline.
3 posts Page 1 of 1