Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
43 posts Page 1 of 5
- In the documentation it states:
[...] turn this feature on only after you have configured all your clonable templates.

What does this mean? Can I safely turn it on when I just declared all my required pages as clonable but would still like to be able to edit the editable regions? Or has everthing to be configured beforehand?

- If I understand it correctly turning pretty urls on will convert blop.php in index.php and place this in a folder called blog. I already use something like this. Will I get problems? (while typing i realised that this is not exactly my problem, but perhaps it's useful to others)

- To make the last question a bit clearer: I have all my phps with editable regions in one folder. They are non-executable and I just collect their data to make it easier handling different languages, like: the index.php's in .../en/news/ as well as .../de/news/ collect their data in ../_php/cms_news.php . When I now turn pretty urls on I guess I'll get ../php/cms_news/ ? Will I still be able to create an archive view like ../en/news/2011/ ? Or will I have to work around this by creating a folder 2011 in the news-folders by hand and declare in the index.php there that I just want to load the news of 2011?
What does this mean? Can I safely turn it on when I just declared all my required pages as clonable but would still like to be able to edit the editable regions? Or has everthing to be configured beforehand?

Turning on prettyURLs also necessitates the generation of the .htaccess file that contains the rewrite rules.
What the statement meant was that ideally you should have already added to Couch all the templates that would constitute your site before generating this .htaccess that plays the pivotal role in prettyURLs.

The point is - the .htaccess contains rules for all the templates that make the site.
Obviously, it can only contain reference to those templates which are known to Couch at the point of its generation.

Suppose after generating the .htaccess, we add yet another template to Couch. This new template will not have its entry in the .htaccess and as such upon accessing the template, one will always be redirected to the home page of the site.

The solution would be to regenerate the .htaccess file again so that the new entrant gets a place.

So the answer to your question is - prettyURL will impact your ablility only to the extent of making you regenerate .htaccess every time you add (or remove) a template.
The already existing templtes can be safely modified (e.g. you can safely add/modify/remove editable regions from them). PrettyURL does not impact them in any manner.

- If I understand it correctly turning pretty urls on will convert blop.php in index.php and place this in a folder called blog. I already use something like this. Will I get problems? (while typing i realised that this is not exactly my problem, but perhaps it's useful to others

Turning on prettyURLs will make it seem that there is a physical folder named 'blog' instead of the file 'blog.php'. If such a folder already exists and there is physical file named 'index.php' in there, accessing a URL such as /blog/ will make .htaccess call up the physical file index,php first, thus by passing your blog.php. That is the way URL rewriting works.

- To make the last question a bit clearer: I have all my phps with editable regions in one folder. They are non-executable and I just collect their data to make it easier handling different languages, like: the index.php's in .../en/news/ as well as .../de/news/ collect their data in ../_php/cms_news.php . When I now turn pretty urls on I guess I'll get ../php/cms_news/ ? Will I still be able to create an archive view like ../en/news/2011/ ? Or will I have to work around this by creating a folder 2011 in the news-folders by hand and declare in the index.php there that I just want to load the news of 2011?

A non-executable template is, well, non-executable in the sense that it cannot be accessed (by non-superadmins) via its URL typed in a browser's address bar.
So in your case, none of the non-executable templates will count as candidates for PrettyURLs at all.
Your template /en/news/index.php will be accessible as /en/news/ after prettyURL activation and you should be able to use /en/news/2011/ as the archive-view.

If in any doubt, try generating the .htaccess and you should be able to figure out the rules that will apply.

Hope this answers your queries.
Thanks.
KK wrote: [...]Your template /en/news/index.php will be accessible as /en/news/ after prettyURL activation and you should be able to use /en/news/2011/ as the archive-view.

If in any doubt, try generating the .htaccess and you should be able to figure out the rules that will apply.

Hope this answers your queries.
Thanks.

Most of it does, thank you!

The thing is /en/news/index.php is no template. It gets it's couch data from another template. I guess in this case an archive-view won't trigger the right variables couch would normally set up?
The thing is /en/news/index.php is no template. It gets it's couch data from another template

er..I am sure you are using the two enveloping lines of PHP in /en/news/index.php (require_once("../../couch/cms.php"); and COUCH::invoke(); ), aren't you?
That makes Couch register the containing file as a template and makes it's name visible in the sidebar of admin panel.

A template for Couch is any PHP file that contains the two lines of PHP mentioned above and that can be visited via a browser as a distinct URL.
Whether or not the file defines any editable regions is purely optional.

Hope this clears the distinction. Do let me know :)
Yes, sorry. I still have to get used to the couch vocabulary :). I meant that this is not a clonable template. But I'll just try it. Otherwise I'll use a workaround.
Is it right that the height of the login page is always more than that of the browser window?(more than height=100%;?) I always have a scrollbar and some space left at the bottom... although I could swear it was different in the beginning. Haven't touched the style.css yet.

Edit: ok, I managed that by setting margin to "0px auto;" and added "padding-top: 100px". BUT I have a license that should allow me to rebrand couch, though when I change the logos in config.php nothing changes.
..I have a license that should allow me to rebrand couch, though when I change the logos in config.php nothing changes.

Only the Pro License allows the use of custom logos. I think you are using the free license which only allows the removal of link from the footer.
I got my licence shortly before you changed your payment policy. Since I'm using it for a non profitable website I assumed this should work. At the time this was the condition to get a full licence.

And I have already another problem:
Is this not possible?
Code: Select all
<cms:pages masterpage='one.php'>
    [some code to get just one specific cloned page from one.php]
        <cms:get_custom_field 'k_page_title' masterpage='another.php' page="<cms:show var1/>"/>
</cms:pages>

var1 is an editable region in one.php, containing the name of a cloned page in another.php. But I get only the title of the cloned page from one.php.

The Idea is to choose var1 in one clonable template and acess with it the data in another one.
Trust me Klaus, even before the policy change we had, it was only the commercial license that allowed rebranding of Couch. The (then) free license simply removed the existing 30 day trial restriction.
Hope this clarifies your doubts.
Alright :)... I edited something in my previous post - I fear you might not have noticed due to you replying to me while I was writing that.
43 posts Page 1 of 5