Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear all,

I find myself needing to allow inline-editing to users without allowing them access to the admin panel and as far as I can see, there are two different ways to do this for my case:

• Restrict access to the entire Admin Panel to Admin level while allowing them to still use inline editing.
or
• Allow inline-editing to Authenticated-User(Special) while still restricting access to the entire Admin Panel.

No Admin will ever require access to the Admin Panel, therefore I have no issue restricting their access entirely.
Hi,

As it happens, this inline editing facility is available only for admins so that would rule out the second solution -
Allow inline-editing to Authenticated-User(Special) while still restricting access to the entire Admin Panel.

You'll have to find a way to restrict access for the admins to the admin-panel. Let me know if you need any help with that.
KK wrote: Hi,

As it happens, this inline editing facility is available only for admins so that would rule out the second solution -
Allow inline-editing to Authenticated-User(Special) while still restricting access to the entire Admin Panel.

You'll have to find a way to restrict access for the admins to the admin-panel. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Good day KK,

My initial attempt was to edit the index.php line 9:

Code: Select all
$AUTH->check_access( K_ACCESS_LEVEL_ADMIN );

And add SUPER_ADMIN which does the trick and restricts the Admins from the panel but as you have already figured out it also restricts Admin from the uses of inline editing.

Now I am looking into ways of redirecting an admin away from the admin panel instead of restricting them :D
KK wrote: Hi,

For the time being, a working method was editing a system snippet (main.html) and adding

Code: Select all
                <cms:if k_user_access_level lt '10'>
               <cms:redirect url='URL_HERE' />
                </cms:if>

This redirects every time an admin is attempting to access the admin panel but does not interfere with inline editing.
This seems to be as good a solution as any.
I'd only add that you should use the 'theme overriding' method (instead of modifying a core snippet directly) as shown at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10241
KK wrote: This seems to be as good a solution as any.
I'd only add that you should use the 'theme overriding' method (instead of modifying a core snippet directly) as shown at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10241

That is the intention, but before doing that I was altering the core snippet directly to make sure it will work.
Thank you!
6 posts Page 1 of 1