Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi.
We need support regarding CouchCMS compatibility with new PHP versions on all of our customers' servers.

We have noticed that unfortunately CouchCMS is not compatible with the new versions of PHP Server (version 8.0 / 8.1 and 8.2).

The latest version compatible with CouchCMS is php server version 7.3 and 7.4 still sometimes gives problems with some very deprecated things.

we absolutely need to ask you for a solution to this problem. the fact that CouchCMS is not compatible with new PHP server versions from 8.0 onwards leads to vulnerability and security issues.

I also add that we would absolutely need to have a debug mode (such as wordpress offers it inside the wp-config via a define / debug=true) because for us it is necessary to see what can be deprecated or is not working properly at all inside the site. Unfortunately we have seen that this option does not exist and we consider it necessary.

the version of CouchCMS we are using is the latest.
We ask for a solution.

Best regards
Hi,

The point where we say that an application is not compatible with a particular version of PHP is where PHP begins throwing 'Fatal errors' and simply refuses to run the code.

For now, that point is not reached with regards to Couch running on PHP 8.0 / 8.1. It is known to run just fine on both (i.e. without any fatal errors being encountered).

What one may run into while trying to use Couch on these versions are 'deprecation warnings'.
These are about some features that actually do work currently but may be removed in future versions.

I am working on aligning those features to avoid running into 'Fatal errors' in the future but for now, these warnings can be safely ignored.

Most installations on 8.0 / 8.1 will not get to see these warnings as Couch tries to suppress them but there can be certain server configurations that let those warnings pass and show up on the front-end; I think this is what you are experiencing. Please see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13373#p38697 for how to fix that. In case you still need any help, feel free to PM me.

That all said, as I mentioned, I am in the process of fixing all deprecated features so soon this should cease to be an issue.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

in reality the sites that we have set up (and there are many, all done on the couch) with a version of php server that goes beyond 7.4 (therefore from 8.0 onwards) do not work. a blank page appears and that's it. there isn't even an error in the top deprecation header.

and in any case some sites with the php 7.4 version that display deprecation errors at the top of the header, sometimes they remain visible there and we can't even remove them.

we have a staging site where we copied a very large Couch site over there. below we have a c-panel that allows us to manage everything and beyond php server 7.4 it is not possible to go.

do you want to see it?
let me know i'll pass you the pointing for file host.

Best regards
If you are getting a blank page, that error is certain to be recorded in your web server's error log.
Please take a look at it and PM me what you find.

As for the visible deprecation notices, please take a look at the solution explained in the post I linked before i.e. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13373#p38697

Finally, do make sure to upgrade your problem sites to the latest version of Couch from GitHub first as there have may commits regarding compatibility with PHP8 lately and perhaps the issue might have already been resolved.
@BiancaSWhiteHub, latest version from github works really well. It sounds that the level of expertise with Couch in particular and server-side in general is not adequate in your company, Perhaps, this situation presents an opportunity to broaden your investments and include server-side experience into the picture, not just design and management.

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread and may be of immediate temporary remedy is plugins / addons. Some may be outdated to the point of giving fatal errors. Certainly may happen with "copied-over large Couch sites" which were developed a long time ago. I suggest to disable all non-core plugins / addons / custom PHP code from particular Couch installation to exclude custom code as a source of trouble.
trendoman wrote: @BiancaSWhiteHub, latest version from github works really well. It sounds that the level of expertise with Couch in particular and server-side in general is not adequate in your company, Perhaps, this situation presents an opportunity to broaden your investments and include server-side experience into the picture, not just design and management.

Thanks for the info.
I will take your advice into consideration and report it to our server / hosting partner.

KK wrote: If you are getting a blank page, that error is certain to be recorded in your web server's error log.
Please take a look at it and PM me what you find.

As for the visible deprecation notices, please take a look at the solution explained in the post I linked before i.e. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13373#p38697

Finally, do make sure to upgrade your problem sites to the latest version of Couch from GitHub first as there have may commits regarding compatibility with PHP8 lately and perhaps the issue might have already been resolved.

thank you for answering me again, tomorrow I will recover the logs and send them to you.
Good evening
Hello,

I happened to see this post and thought I could be of help too.
I'm a developer who only uses COUCH CMS and I always use the latest possible PHP version available on my host.
I can definitely say that since quite some time the version is 8.2.10 and COUCH CMS is working without any problem.

Moreover, my impressions are that the developers of this platform have never been behind in terms of CMS compatibility with the latest possible version of PHP.
BiancaSWhiteHub wrote: I will take your advice into consideration and report it to our server / hosting partner.

What a ..! Report it to yourself :oops: .

Knowing where on server the PHP error logs are located and what to see in them regarding CouchCMS error messages is the most basic skill of a website developer.
Going 'blank' could be pages of website containing custom code/addons which are not working well.

P.S. Companies who pay for CouchCMS commercial license have full private CouchCMS support from @KK and always working code.

P.P.S. @KK what was the issue with the 'blank' pages? It is a pity, the fixed issue was not publicly explained, leaving only public complaints which I am seeing as nonsence. @orbital just confirmed my suspicion, that the problem was never with CouchCMS.
8 posts Page 1 of 1