Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi folks and Happy New Year 2020!
I wonder if it is possible to have an "out of stock" option for an OPTION of a product. Let say I have product X with three options red, green and blue. There are no changes to price or shipping or whatever for any option, just want to have "out of stock" displayed for option that is not available, so the client cannot add it to cart.
Thanks a lot!
Hi @pandele, I suppose it is to be instructed for the admin to remove the option from the list. Perhaps, @KK has some provision to comment it out rather than delete.
I am sorry but nothing stock related is available out of the box.
@pandele, my apologies for publicly replying to your PM (regarding implementing this option) but I think the discussion can be useful.

There are complexities involved with stock-keeping functionality - to illustrate my point take the example of the sample 'Raised Relief World Globe' product in the demo (http://www.couchcms.com/demo/simple/) -

For our simple cart (no stock keeping involved), there are only three variations of the product -
Code: Select all
Illuminated[No=-2.13 | Yes=5]
Stand Type[Tabletop | Floor=15]
Stand Material[Plastic | Brass=10 | Wood=25]

However, if you were to keep stock of them, actually there are *12* distinct SKUs in there that need to be tracked individually.
See what I mean?

On the frontend, it would involve figuring out which permutation/combination of the three dropdowns should be disabled to prevent an out-of-stock item being added to the cart. Of course it can be done but we'll then require an entirely different way of adding variants in the backend.

So, I am sorry, there is no easy way out here except redo a whole lot of things.
Let say I have product X with three options red, green and blue. There are no changes to price or shipping or whatever for any option, just want to have "out of stock" displayed for option that is not available, so the client cannot add it to cart.

Following @KK's reply: there is a workaround that will be okay for a product with a single set of options - as in your example where only color is variable - but not easily possible for a combination of options. Just like @KK's posted - "Illuminated plastic tabletop" is a unique SKU. But if it's guaranteed to have only a single set of options - red/blue/green, then there could be a solution to combine dynamic checkboxes in backend and extended listing (<cms:pp_product_options> as a tag pair) of product's options in frontend.

I don't think it makes much sense though, simply because it is quick to remove an option altogether than code up a handful of lines to cover it. Idk why @KK didn't mention it is doable for a simple example though.
5 posts Page 1 of 1