Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Reached the end of the blog section of "Diving Deep". All seems fine except that "Discuss this post" button doesn't seem to do anything.

Have I missed something?
The button anchors to the form to leave a comment. Blog section borrows the commenting (aka discussion) from here https://docs.couchcms.com/concepts/using-comments.html And on that page the comment form parent div's id is "comment-form" whilst in Diving Deep the anchor is "commentform". It's maybe that final bit one could figure out on its own? ;)
But the button seems superfluous. Comments can just be added without clicking the button!

Also, I note that any comments added by someone who is logged in are immediately shown without approval from the super-user.

I note that the time posted shown is not correct although the date is.
oldcelt wrote: But the button seems superfluous. Comments can just be added without clicking the button!

Ah, that tutorial is old anyway and requires some rework / replacement. You aren't supposed to live with it - just grasp the concepts and start converting your own website already - it's that job that'll produce really meaningful questions (hopefully most of such have already been answered in forums). Go ahead and make something real out of what you already know. :)

oldcelt wrote: Also, I note that any comments added by someone who is logged in are immediately shown without approval from the super-user. I note that the time posted shown is not correct although the date is.

For that the first thing to check I guess would be the config -
Code: Select all
define( 'K_GMT_OFFSET', 0 );
define( 'K_COMMENTS_REQUIRE_APPROVAL', 1 );

Does it help?

Does it help?

OK, I'm aware that 'Diving Deep' is a tutorial and I had already picked up some anomalies and corrected them. However, define( 'K_COMMENTS_REQUIRE_APPROVAL', 1 ); was, and is, set correctly. Comments from logged in users still get posted immediately! Other page users must enter their credentials even if they've posted a comment to that blog before.

define( 'K_GMT_OFFSET', 0 ); is not, as far as I can remember, ever mentioned in the tutorial. Now that's been fixed all is well date-wise. :)

Many thanks for your help.
oldcelt wrote: Comments from logged in users

Could you please confirm, that you are indeed posting as a user, not admin/superadmin?
trendoman wrote: Could you please confirm, that you are indeed posting as a user, not admin/superadmin?

Comments by the super-user are, as I would expect, posted immediately.

What I would like is that any site visitor who enters their credentials to make a comment, can thereafter add further comments without having to re-enter all their details. That doesn't seem possible as the tutorial blog stands at the moment?

I don't want to give site visitors a 'User' status so that they can add comments freely because that would give them access to the admin area.
Comments from anyone with access level < than admin/superadmin should be approved by admin if the setting in config says so. If it is not happening in your setup, I am very surprised and can take a look at your zipped template.

What I would like is that any site visitor who enters their credentials to make a comment, can thereafter add further comments without having to re-enter all their details. That doesn't seem possible as the tutorial blog stands at the moment?

Nope. If unregistered visitor wishes to leave multiple comments she must enter the required details every time. Normally, they are being saved in browser so not a big deal.

I don't want to give site visitors a 'User' status so that they can add comments freely because that would give them access to the admin area.

That is not correct. Registered users with access level < admin can not access admin area - and the notion 'admin area' exists for this particular reason. ;)
Thanks for your help. Have to be out for a day or so - will be in touch again later if that's ok?

Really appreciate your help - donation made into your account this morning.
I'm still a bit puzzled:-
1. A comment approved appears on the page under the name of the person submitting it but is repeated with the name of the ‘Admin’ attributed. In other words, the comment is duplicated.
2. I still can’t see any purpose for the button ‘Discuss this post’. It does nothing. Perhaps I misunderstood the earlier advice?
3. What is the purpose of users with less than ‘Admin’ privileges? There’s nowhere on the Aurelius site that offers a login for anyone. Is this provided in Couch for a web design which keeps a list of members for some reason?

TIA, Ken
17 posts Page 1 of 2