Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I am wondering if I can implement the following use case with Couch.

We are a sports club, and twice per year our members can register for matches of their choice, and per match for certain performance types. Right now, we are distributing an Excel to all members, showing all matches on the lines and performances in the columns, the members have to tick those and send it back. It's a lot of work to collect everything (especially, collect in a timely fashion). We cannot use Google Forms for this because it violates with our privacy policy (no member data stored outside of the EU). And we're too small to go for a Europe-based paid forms solution. So we have to implement a solution of our own.

I would like to use Couch, in a combination of users, csv importer, and data bound forms. Another solution is to implement LimeSurvey on our side and send them the list as a kind of survey. I already experimented with that.
But my preference is a solution that is integrated into our website.

I tried some things, but cannot figure out the proper solution in Couch. This is what I have in my mind:

- Have a CSV file with all matches on the lines, performances in the columns.
- Present this file to logged in users, in a form.
- Users will see the matches listed one after the other on the lines
- Behind each match, on the line, they will see the performance as checkboxes: they simply check the boxes of the performances for which they want to register.
- When they click 'submit', it's either saved in the database with their name tied to it, or it's saved back into a copy of the csv with their name appended to it. The first solution seems most elegant and has my preference.

Is this feasible in Couch? I would like to stay as close as possible to standard Couch, and not have to code all in PHP from scratch.

All help and tips/tricks appreciated !
"I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that" - Pippi Longstocking
Sounds like a timetable with option to register for each event.
Could you please show a sample to understand you better? How many checkboxes can be expected as a product of matches x performances?
Apologies, for some reason I missed your reply @trendoman
This topic is becoming more apparent again in the club, so here goes:

The form could look a bit like this:

Code: Select all
Match                  performance1       performance2      ....       performance8
City1, March               [ ]                  [ ]         ....           [ ]
City2, April               [ ]                  [ ]         ....           [ ]
City2, May                 [ ]                  [ ]         ....           [ ] 
City12, Nov                [ ]                  [ ]         ....           [ ]

In total I would expect about 50 to 60 city/date combinations (matches) and 7 to 8 performance types (dance, solo, duo, team, etc.) so the product would be 480 ~ 500 checkboxes on the form that is presented to the user worst case. The performances are fixed, by the way. Only the cities and dates differ each time.

This form would be presented to each user in their profile once they login, and their choices would be saved in a central table somehow.

The match coordinator would be able to see this (I plan to create an overview page) and authorise / de-authorise per member and then finally enlist our performers for each match on their requested performance types with the sports federation. I think it will be required here to have an additional checkbox for each line to mark a line as "enlisted" at the central sports federation.

Once the central sports federation confirms the matches for each member the match coordinator would then be able to check each performance for each member as confirmed (or denied). That's another additional checkbox.

And I know, this sounds like a lot of work. It is a lot of work. Somebody in our club is doing this twice a year, all manual.... My intention is to help her to automate the process, somehow.
"I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that" - Pippi Longstocking
Are you still distributing an Excel to all members? It is not a complex coding, once you have figured out the desired format of reporting etc. Setting up fillable Couch forms would take just a day. Another day may be spent on making this beautiful, with datatables and various presentation views (JS, Ajax) for the manager to work with.
4 posts Page 1 of 1