Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

how can I set the "from Name" property with normal unmodified send_mail properly?

I tried using from='My Name <my.name@domain.com>' and this actually somewhat works, as only the "My Name" part will show up in the from column in Outlook. However, when I open or reply to the mail, the full string ("My Name <my.name@domain.com>") is shown as the sender/reply adress. While this does not impede anything, it looks odd.

Any ideas?
Hi,

Please try switching over to phpMailer (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10750).
I think that should handle the from='My Name <my.name@domain.com>' the way you expect.

Please let me know if it does.
Edit: I'm beginning to think that this is intended behaviour and actually set up on purpose this way in our Exchange environment to protect from fraudulent emails.

I just realized that all external mail adresses show up like this (so if I use a gmail account to send mail to my domain address, it also shows up as "My Name <my.name@gmail.com>". Only mails sent from users on the domain seem to display only as "Full Name". Since i am using an smtp relay and not exchange to send the mail, I guess this is working as intended.

Original message:

I'm still running Couch 2.0, although I'll be upgrading soon, For now I took the phpmailer folder from the newer release and added it via the kfunctions.

Normal send works as expected, however the behaviour is the same as with normal sendmail (My Name <my.name@domain.com> shows up as name/reply address).

Also I'm getting warnings on send_mail execution:

Warning: Missing argument 7 for KPHPMailer::send_mail_handler() in E:\xampp\htdocs\webformular\couch\addons\phpmailer\phpmailer.php on line 29

Warning: Missing argument 8 for KPHPMailer::send_mail_handler() in E:\xampp\htdocs\webformular\couch\addons\phpmailer\phpmailer.php on line 29

As I said, I am planning on upgrading to the full 2.1 release, but do you think this will actually resolve this?
Edit: I'm beginning to think that this is intended behaviour and actually set up on purpose this way in our Exchange environment to protect from fraudulent emails.

I just realized that all external mail adresses show up like this (so if I use a gmail account to send mail to my domain address, it also shows up as "My Name <my.name@gmail.com>". Only mails sent from users on the domain seem to display only as "Full Name". Since i am using an smtp relay and not exchange to send the mail, I guess this is working as intended.

I also reached the same conclusion. I was beginning to post a reply when I noticed that you edited your last post to add your observation.

Anyway, there is one thing that might interest you -
you may set the 'reply_to' parameter to the raw email if you wish to show only the email upon hitting reply e.g. -
Code: Select all
<cms:send_mail from='My Name <my.name@domain.com>' reply_to='my.name@domain.com' to='test@test.com'>
    Hello
</cms:send_mail>
Thanks, I'll play around with it until I'm satisfied with how it looks to the end users.

Also, the two phpmailer warnings are generated because arguments 7 and 8 ($arr_config, $debug) are not passed by $FUNCS->send_mail in 2.0, but they are in 2.1, so this is fine aswell.
5 posts Page 1 of 1