Problems, need help? Have a tip or advice? Post it here.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,
I have just started using CouchCMS. I am going to be creating a photography website. I have read carefully and have installed the gallery.php with slimbox but I am having some trouble that I can't figure out how to fix.

I uploaded a photo that was in portrait orientation but it displays on it's side. All my other photos in landscape uploaded fine. When I open the photo on http://www.photo.walterstinnett.com/gallery.php the thumbnail displays on its side and then when I click an open the slimbox that photo is larger than my browser window while the other photos open fine. I am using the default editiable field for the image.

Your help would be appreciated.
Walter
Hello Walter,

I uploaded a photo that was in portrait orientation but it displays on it's side. All my other photos in landscape uploaded fine.
Most cameras make no attempt to correct the orientation of a picture while storing them internally - so both a portrait as well as a landscape will be recorded with the 'width' on top and 'height' on side.

However, many do record as EXIF info of the photo the orientation of the camera (e.g. 90 degree clockwise for portrait). If the program displaying the image is smart enough, it will take this exif info into consideration and then show the photo after effecting the compensating rotation. This way the photo will display in a normal position instead of on its side (although internally it *is* on its side).

I suppose the image display program you normally use to view your photos falls in this category and so you are used to seeing that portrait in an upright position :) Not all programs do this - e.g. the Photoshop version that I use shows your photo on its side.

Unfortunately, the image processing of Couch also does not take the EXIF info into account and uses the photo as it was uploaded. I think this will explain why that particular photo appears the way it does.

As a solution, you may use any image editing program (a free one like irfanview would be great) and correct the orientation manually before uploading.

Hope this answers your query.
Hello KK,

Is there (now 2019, since 2010) a solution for the image rotation issue in Couch Gallery? (So that the gallery will display properly the portrait, and will obey the exif data "orientation")

Thank you very much
Angelika

See below quotation

"Unfortunately, the image processing of Couch also does not take the EXIF info into account and uses the photo as it was uploaded. I think this will explain why that particular photo appears the way it does."
Hello Angie,

Unfortunately there has been no progress since on this particular issue.
Was it solved in some way? I wonder if a validator could be coded to turn an image before Couch takes image into its hands.
Hello trendoman,
no the "image rotation issue" isn't solved yet.
We edit the image on the mobile device only a little bit - e.g. cut off less than 1mm and save, than the image shows up in the expected orientation.
greetings
Angie
6 posts Page 1 of 1