Do you have some feature in mind that you'd love to see in Couch? Let us know.
18 posts Page 2 of 2
@trendoman,
The gen_dump.php utility was designed for automating the migration from development to production during the initial installation. Using it for backup and sync are secondary ideas that piggyback on that process.

I think it's just as easy or even easier to update the database using the export and import functions of phpMyAdmin. I know this isn't a Couch-based solution, but sometimes it's better to just do it yourself. I don't know if Couch can create a cleaner solution. What would you want it do?
@tim, thank you for pointing out phpmyadmin.

Do you feel comfortable with it? I find the whole operation of export-import rather easy.
However, I feel dizzy everytime I'm in a place, where the database can be deleted with tools, that can mess the whole thing.

I need only one simple operation. :ugeek:

See, why extra operations? Go to password manager, login to hoster, login to phpmyadmin, make export. Then again, login and update info on the other end..

I'd prefer using couch as my password manager (it already has all info) :) I'd like to stay calm and know that no issues can arise.

global.com/gen_dump.php
local.com/db_update.php

Kinda like that.
Yeah, that could be useful, a utility that would compare the dump with the local database and update it without re-installing everything. It's a good idea.

If you know a little PHP and SQL, you could take a look at couch/install.php and couch/gen_dump.php to see if you could adapt them to create this new utility. You were looking for a more serious project, right? 8-)

However, I feel dizzy everytime I'm in a place, where the database can be deleted with tools, that can mess the whole thing.

I know the feeling, but I guess I'm getting over it. I have a backup so I don't worry.

I use a cron job that saves a database backup every week. When I want to sync my local site, I can grab the latest backup from the server and import it to the local database. So that's what is comfortable and easy for me.
Thanks, @tim!

I also think we can use csv_uploader script, generously provided here on forum, to get the info.
I have skimmed through this exchange and if I may I'd like to add my thoughts ... from a long-term Couch user/designer. I would advocate that a user-friendly Couch-based utility approach is a far more attractive option for most. The terms 'cron job' 'csv_uploader script' etc can be alienating and intimidating for many designers and I think that many CMS users these days will want/expect utilities like back-up to be add-ons which are simple and in-built options - actually not options, but essentials. I really hope that Couch is heading in this direction in its next release ... because increasing its user-base is in all our interests!
potato wrote: I have skimmed through this exchange and if I may I'd like to add my thoughts ... from a long-term Couch user/designer. I would advocate that a user-friendly Couch-based utility approach is a far more attractive option for most. The terms 'cron job' 'csv_uploader script' etc can be alienating and intimidating for many designers and I think that many CMS users these days will want/expect utilities like back-up to be add-ons which are simple and in-built options - actually not options, but essentials. I really hope that Couch is heading in this direction in its next release ... because increasing its user-base is in all our interests!

Came here to pretty much say exactly this. From a developer perspective cron jobs etc work fine but to the average web developer and to end users it means nothing. While I don't think couch should ship with a full backup feature, it should be an optional addon.

I've put a pause on all of my addon development until the next version of couch is released, perhaps then it's something that the community can tackle, if KK does not already have plans to release one himself.
So my site isn't even live yet. I demoed the only completed page on Thursday and today when I came in someone had edited one of the paragraphs on the main page and totally butchered it. Luckily I still had the text from the HTML file before I implemented Couch but I'm seriously considering looking for another CMS due to this missing feature.

Sorry, but I want to be honest because I do think this is a great system with lots of potential. Please keep considering version control.
KK wrote: Thanks for the feedback, @scottbeeson.

Perhaps the arrangement closer to what you desire would be as follows -
Every time a user hits save on any page, a copy of that page with its previous values gets saved automatically as a backup (we can, perhaps, have 5 such last backups). This then should be coupled with granting the user a way to rollback to any of the previous backups.

Would that suffice? Please let me know.

Just curious, but has anything like this been implemented, e.g. an undo on a published change ? I can't seem to find anything doing searches...

Thanks !
18 posts Page 2 of 2