Do you have some feature in mind that you'd love to see in Couch? Let us know.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Drag and Drop order entries / posts would be excellent to have, like WordPress has "My Page Order" so you can drag and drop into order posts in clonable entries and not rely on publish dates or custom fields to order by - further more, been able to page "Prev and Next" on a single page based on the order of the pages as per the drag and drop.

When you think of a client populating a site with clonable pages that are not a blog or anything time reliant, precise order of entries is required in the event they wish to use "prev" or "next" - drag and drop order would be a very easy fit for them rather than messing with custom field order_me_by and or editing the dates of entries.
This feature has been requested before and is on our todo list.

For now, you could use 'nested_pages' (http://www.couchcms.com/docs/tags-refer ... pages.html), instead of regular cloned pages, for such sections that do not require entries in chronological order.

The nested pages support reordering from admin-panel and also provide the 'next' and 'prev' links you mentioned.
The only constrain with them is that they, unlike regular cloned pages, are likely to be inefficient if used with thousands of cloned pages.
That said, more often than not, sections that require manual reordering (e.g. portfolio etc) have a much lesser count of pages so nested pages remain a perfectly viable alternative option for you to consider.
Adding to my previous reply -
I noticed that you quoted the example of Wordpress.
If I am not wrong, I think even with Wordpress, it is only the 'pages' (and NOT the 'posts' which form the bulk of any WP site) that support such kind of reordering.
The pages of WP can be considered the exact equivalent of Couch's nested-pages (both in usage and limitations).
Will this work if say I have two sets of nested pages, i.e.

Basic Pages (to build out the main menu, using points to another page for clonable pages) - uses index.php

and

Another page set, i.e. "Stages" that would be nestable too but use stages.php and stages_list.php

Basically, I need to use a different templates for "Stages" than that of the "Pages" (index.php), it will have different editable regions.
Will this work if say I have two sets of nested pages

Yes, certainly :)
There is no limitation on the number of nestable templates that you can use.
P.S. Please don't forget that you'll have to use 'cms:nested_pages' instead of 'cms:pages' to list the pages.
Hi Kamran,

Thanks for clarifying, and sorry if I am repeating myself here (just want to be sure before potentially destroying 20 published pages), so then it's possible for me to have the a "pages" nested_pages to build out my menu (menu maker style) then for the page within that called "Stages" (i..e Pages - Page Name = Stages") I can masquerade that to "http://mysitename.com/stages.php" and use the conditional to load the list view as per the docs for clonable pages?

Sorry now if I'm reapting my point of clarification, but just want to be sure, and if so I can do this and outline it as a code example for anyone on the forums, once again I might be pushing the basic approach, but I think what I am trying to do might be beneficial to others and cn outline the reason and process once I achieve it :)
Hey Patrick,

Your 'index.php', I think, is already nestable because you are using it create the menu structure.
I suppose it is the 'stages.php' (and the 20 pages within it) that you are worried about.

You can safely declare a template as being nestable and then revert back to it being plain clonable. You might lose the 'hierarchical' structure of the pages you gave them in nested mode but there is no data loss (in any case, it is never a bad idea to take a database dump).

So, you can begin by concentrating on the stages.php template. For the time being forget about the masquerading part. Make it nestable, implement the list views etc. in it. Once satisfied, move to masquerading.

Actually, in your case, you don't really need to masquerade stages.php using a page (named 'stages') of index.php. Here is why -
assuming prettyURLs are on (which I am sure you'll definitely do),
the URL of stages.php would be 'http://mysitename.com/stages/' and
the URL of the 'stages' page of 'index.php' would be 'http://mysitename.com/stages/'
You see? They have the same URL. So if you simply create a page named 'stages' for index.php (to create a menu-item), clicking on it will land the visitor on the actual stages.php as that is a physically available page.

Even if this was not the case, I don't think there would be any problem in your approach.
Take a db dump and experiment to your heart's fill :)
7 posts Page 1 of 1