Do you have some feature in mind that you'd love to see in Couch? Let us know.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
You know I love Couch. It is 99% perfect, and I'm being really picky here :)

1) *BUG* Repeatable regions don't work well with groups in the admin panel. The repeatable table is too wide for the group, and the red X (delete) is half disappearing. I've tried playing with col_width, which is fine for individual columns but doesn't seem to reduce the width of the table enough (in Chrome, anyway).

2) *FEATURE REQUEST* A repeatable row doesn't allow much room in the admin panel. I propose a new tag to allow multiple rows, per repeating row ... if that makes sense. Something like this:

Code: Select all
<cms:repeatable etc>
  <cms:row>
    <cms:editable etc />
  </cms:row>
  <cms:row>
  </cms:row>
</cms:repeatable>

3) *FEATURE REQUEST* Allow us to define minimum and maximum rows per repeatable region.

<cms:repeatable min_rows='2'> /* Two rows minimum */

<cms:repeatable max_rows='10'> /* Ten rows maximum */

4) * FEATURE REQUEST * Allow custom config in CKEditor. At the moment I am directly editing /couch/includes/ckeditor/config.js so I can do the following:

CKEDITOR.editorConfig = function( config )
{
   config.forcePasteAsPlainText = true;
};

This would be easier (and upgrade-proof) if we could have a new parameter in type='richtext' :

<cms:editable name='blah'
    custom_config="styles/custom_config.js"
    type='richtext'/>

5) * FEATURE REQUEST * Image editor improvements, specifically 'delete images' and view as thumbnails instead of list. If deleting an image will result in a broken path elsewhere, a warning could be displayed. I built a basic CMS a few years ago that displayed the following message:

You are trying to delete image X, which is currently being used in the following pages:
[Link to page]
[Link to page]
Please remove the image from these pages, and try again.

Or something like that :)

6) * FEATURE REQUEST * I've mentioned this before, but allowing groups to stay open in the admin panel simultaneously. You've already agreed to add this in a future version anyway.

6) * FEATURE REQUEST * Couch currently spits out loads of whitespace in the source code. It appears to generate a new blank line for each tag, even if there is no output from the tag. It doesn't break anything as such, it just makes html pages larger than they need to be and tough to read. But now I'm being really picky :)
Interesting set of requests these :)
The 'repeating rows' feature seems very practical.

I've had a similar list from another user today regarding repeatable regions - one additional feature demanded was for the rows to be numbered.

Thank you for your inputs. I'll definitely try and implement as many of them as feasible.
1) *BUG* Repeatable regions don't work well with groups in the admin panel. The repeatable table is too wide for the group, and the red X (delete) is half disappearing. I've tried playing with col_width, which is fine for individual columns but doesn't seem to reduce the width of the table enough (in Chrome, anyway).

Just so you know, I've fixed this one:

/couch/addons/repeatable/tablegear/tablegear.css

.rr { background: #fff; border-left: 1px solid #d3d3d3; border-top: 1px solid #d3d3d3; -moz-border-radius: 5px; border-radius: 5px; min-width:720px; table-layout: fixed; }

Removing 'min-width:720px;' fixes this problem.

Lewis :)
I don't think you can fault Couch for the white space issue. This is totally dependent on how you arrange your tags and thus can be easily prevented.
I don't think you can fault Couch for the white space issue. This is totally dependent on how you arrange your tags and thus can be easily prevented.

What I mean, is that if you have a page with a lot of logic (if, each, set etc.) then each tag is generating a new line of white space.

For example purposes :

<cms:set i='1' />
<cms:set i='2' />
<cms:set i='3' />
<cms:set i='4' />
<cms:set i='5' />
<cms:set i='6' />
<cms:set i='7' />
<cms:set i='8' />

This generates eight lines of white space in the source code.

<?php $i=1; ?>
<?php $i=2; ?>
<?php $i=3; ?>
<?php $i=4; ?>
<?php $i=5; ?>
<?php $i=6; ?>
<?php $i=7; ?>
<?php $i=8; ?>

This doesn't generate any whitespace.

As you say, arranging your tags differently can fix the problem:

<cms:set i='1' /><cms:set i='2' /><cms:set i='3' /><cms:set i='4' /><cms:set i='5' /><cms:set i='6' /><cms:set i='7' /><cms:set i='8' />

This only generates a single line of whitespace, but it's not practical.

I only notice it because I've come from Expression Engine which also uses plenty of similar tags but doesn't have the same output.

Anyway, it is such a tiny thing that I didn't really need to mention it. I did say I was being picky :)

Lewis
I agree, the way it is handled in Couch there seems to be two less than desirable options: maintain readability and therefore produce excessive white space, or produce no white space and lose readability.
For CSS and JS I have been using this :

http://code.google.com/p/minify/

There is a PHP class that minifies HTML :

http://code.google.com/p/minify/source/ ... y/HTML.php

They recommend that it isn't used on dynamic pages (since it isn't fast) but it could be used in combination with Couch's cache setting. Readability is only useful during development, but for a live site serving up cached HTML pages, I propose this:

// 9.
    // If set, CMS will cache generated pages and serve them if possible.
    define( 'K_USE_CACHE', 1 );

// 9.a
    // Minify cached files.
    define( 'K_MINIFY', 1 );

Lewis
5) * FEATURE REQUEST * Image editor improvements, specifically 'delete images' and view as thumbnails instead of list. If deleting an image will result in a broken path elsewhere, a warning could be displayed.

I am looking for this feature as well. It would be great if you could have a thumbnail view and if you could delete images.

You are trying to delete image X, which is currently being used in the following pages:
[Link to page]
[Link to page]
Please remove the image from these pages, and try again.

That would be amazing!
8 posts Page 1 of 1