Do you have some feature in mind that you'd love to see in Couch? Let us know.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
KK, what is your opinion on adding a website settings or configuration page for the super admin? One could modify through the couch gui, config options such as maintenance mode, as well as cache, e-mail and comment settings. Just about everything except admin page and database information would be available. Also, what are your thoughts on logging of log-in activity. This could include failed attempts and provide information such as time and IP address information.
Sounds good. I was already trying to make it myself.
Sincerely,
Johan

Brightsites
Webdesign, webdevelopment, webapplications, hosting, advice and more.
Hi,

An original goal that we had when we set out to build a CMS was to have the cleanest possible admin-panel. No fluff, no tabs no nothing except what the designer chooses to put in.
This is why Couch never had a settings panel in the CP to begin with.

As the CMS evolved, the added features worked on the assumption that the settings are not in the database but in a separate config file.
For example, the cache or maintenance mode settings are checked by Couch way before the database is even initialized - this helps in cutting down the overhead considerably and respond instantaneously.

At this point, making changes to get the settings from the admin panel, to tell the truth, will involve a fair bit of work.
I am open to the idea though and if we have enough people asking for this we can do so in the coming versions.
KK wrote: At this point, making changes to get the settings from the admin panel, to tell the truth, will involve a fair bit of work.
I am open to the idea though and if we have enough people asking for this we can do so in the coming versions.

I can try something out this weekend for the ones interested. However, every user has to customize some pretty complicated stuff, such as the new include_path, since most webhosts don't allow a 'include('../globals.php')'.

Not considering that, it's pretty easy to make: just adding a new field to the global settings file, making the file echo it, letting the config.php read that variable using fread() and converting it to a 0 or 1.

At least, that's what it looks like to me. As long as the Couch software has no problems with it, it's pretty easy. However, as said before, everyone installing it will need to know the physical path to the website (like: /home/{username}/domains/{domain}/public_html/etcetc).. ;)
Sincerely,
Johan

Brightsites
Webdesign, webdevelopment, webapplications, hosting, advice and more.
Just came across this topic. I like the idea of cheesypoof, but I also agreed with Kamran to have a CMS with the cleanest possible admin-panel. That's why I like CouchCMS.

Personally I like the idea if you can configure some options through the CP like maintenance mode and (maybe) cache.
hmmm, i was going to post a suggestion like cheesypoof did, but i guess he beat me to it by years. :)

so, has anyone come up with a way to get some of the standard config stuff into the admin area?
this would be nice to have.
Hi, i was looking in the forum for something like this I agree with having a clean admin panel and I think that is one of couch best features, but I think there is one config option that would come very handy to have in the admin and that is the option for the client to turn the site into maintenance mode.

I would like to put a simple checkbox (publish site) in my globals.php template, that when is not selected turn the site into maintenance mode. It take some time for most clients to complete the content of their sites and it would be useful to allow them to decide when the site is ready to go live.

This post is pretty old, have anybody found a way to handle this?
7 posts Page 1 of 1