Do you have some feature in mind that you'd love to see in Couch? Let us know.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, first I want to say good job with the whole idea of simple CMS built around content.

I am delving into React and Vue frameworks, and I would love if Couch had it's own REST API, so I can render some page entirely on the client side with some JSON data. I know it's possible even now, but it's not straightforward when you want to do some data queries.

If this is not on the road map, do you see any problems I could run into when using this single-file API project?
https://github.com/mevdschee/php-crud-api
Hi :)

To tell the truth, I have been toying with this idea of easily exposing Couch managed data as REST API for some time now.
Am working on other long pending features in Couch at the moment, however, so cannot promise when I'd be able to get cracking with it.

So, to answer your query - yes, this feature is certainly on the road map but it will take some time.

As for the single-file API project you mentioned, I am afraid I don't think it will be of much help with Couch's data because Couch stores data as EAV and not conventional tables (e.g. suppose you have a template named blog.php, you won't find a single table for blog where each row would be a blog post).
I understand, thanks for swift reply. Is it possible to make the road map public? I don't need to see any dates or deadlines for planned features. But I would like to know what should I be prepared for and what's coming next.
Hi,

Just out of curiosity

so I can render some page entirely on the client side with some JSON data

Isn't it very SEO unfriendly ?
I load frameworks and write bugs on top of them, after that I rearrange the code so that it looks like a cool product.
Tomarnst wrote: Hi,

Just out of curiosity

Maybe it's for a mobile app?
Tomarnst wrote: Hi,

Just out of curiosity

In general it is. But if you do this with only a portion of page (page head rendered from server) it's usually enough for SEO. Also, you can pre-render the initial state on the server and then hook the JS after page is loaded.

I'm talking about use-cases where you need heavy user interactivity and dynamic content, which is actually a JS app inside the server-rendered page. It's not that I would plan to render the whole website with JS. Then I would use Express server and server-side rendering, but I would also loose Couch.
Maybe the following is something if you plan to use vue.js.

Place your vue app in a snippet and embed this in your page. This way the couch tags are available in the vue app (pre-renders on the server) after loading it's fully dynamic on the client side. If needed you can use axios in vue.js for some ajax calls to the couch database.
I load frameworks and write bugs on top of them, after that I rearrange the code so that it looks like a cool product.
Thanks for the advice, but I think it is cleaner to have both Couch and Vue app separated. Maybe I will find some use for it in the future :)
8 posts Page 1 of 1