Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Im wondering if there is possible to change the Charset for Admin panel because im using norwegian language and i wanne write the letters Æ Ø Å.

When im writing like SØREN the title will only show S on the page.
UTF-8 should cater to Norwegian without any problem.

Where exactly do you see the problem? Could you please post a screenshot of it?
I suppose it should be the 'name' field (not the 'title') because it accepts only a limited set of characters. It tries to convert the non-ascii characters to ascii equivalent - which could result in some characters getting stripped.
I have this problem several places. All the forms going true ADMIN (couch) system always ignor Æ Ø Å. For me this is a big problem because alot of my employees names have this letters, also in mail addresses.

So im hoping there can be some solution for this!
I am not denying that you are experiencing the problem, @kimheggen.
I am also willing to help you track down and rectify it.

However, to do that, I'll need more than just a description of the problem.
To be precise, I'll need some solid material to duplicate the problem on my end.

Please get me any of your Couch template that shows the problem in data entry.
I'll install it on my system so that we are on the same page.
Also get me (as attachment) some sample text in Norwegian and let me know in which editable region I should feed it to see in what way the data gets mangled.

Better still, allow me access into your installation and give me precise directions on how to duplicate the problem e.g. "feed this text into this region and it comes out as this text which is wrong".

Thanks.
Thanks for proving me with the directions I asked for.

I had a look and, indeed, the problem was there.
I immediately also noticed that all forms on your installation were as follows -
<form enctype="multipart/form-data" method="post" name="kformname0" action="" accept-charset="iso-8859-1">

By default the charset should have been 'utf-8'.

Digging further, I saw that you had edited 'couch/config.php' to make it -
// 3.
// Define the charset used by your site. If in any doubt, leave the default utf-8.
define( 'K_CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1' );
So there was the problem.

I edited it back to the default value -
define( 'K_CHARSET', 'utf-8' );

and could input SØREN without any problem.

Please test and confirm.
Hi,

Yes now its working in the Admin sectrion.

But now the Menu is showing ? if the letters ÆØÅ is used.!

Attached a screenshot for you to see. Maybe i can change then the charset just for the html!?

Attachments

:D That avatar reminded me of something..

egg-face.jpg
egg-face.jpg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
@kimheggen, the problem now is that your templates (i.e. the physical files) are not encoded in UTF-8.

You'll need to open up the files in your text editor and resave them as 'UTF-8 Without BOM'.
You'll need to rectify some characters if they don't survive the conversion.

Going forward, please make sure to always use 'UTF-8 Without BOM' as the default for all your files (template, snippets).

Hope it helps.
Thanks.

Works like a charm now.
9 posts Page 1 of 1