Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
So, I spent some time studying Magento Feature list. Marketing stuff.

Selected out of 10 repetitive pages some 5% of features, that are not possible with Couch.
If interested, welcome to talk.

Recently viewed and compared products
    /would need to create a counter (a system page to submit date and url every time page is accessed. Can slow down opening of page. Couch has no k_access_date variable at all, but maybe can be added?

Persistent shopping cart
    /cookie management?

Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel
    /not available

Support for multiple languages and currencies
    /can be a mess

SSL security support for orders on both front-end and back-end
    /?

Shopping cart with tax and shipping estimates
    /must be predefined

Shipping integration with label printing - view, edit, print labels for all major carriers
    /need 3d party service

Integrated for real-time shipping rates from: - UPS, UPS XML (account rates), FedEx (account rates), USPS and DHL
    /also can be done with 3d party service but API must be programed on php

Native applications on iPhone, iPad, and Android mobile devices
    /this is a killer feature. Web administering is not better VS native app

These are 9 bullets, killing any ecommerce initiative for couch devs, for the present moment.
Still, 95% of Magento stuff can be done readily in Couch.
Hi,

Well I used Magento as of the beta stage until 2014. Magento is great for high-end stores running on high-end servers. Biggest drawbacks are :

- Difficult to maintain and upgrade
- It takes quite some skills and time to customize

For me (on the moment) it's way more easier to set-up stores with Couch than with Magento . Although I need some help from time to time, but when posting my issue on this forum there always been help to find a solution to get me going again, this hasn't been always the case when I used the Magento forum.

Couch isn't meant to be a replacement for Magento but if you can live with the shortcomings I wouldn't start a project with Magento.

The things I find drawbacks for using Couch are:

- Multilingual sites are way to difficult to achieve and maintain
- The admin side of couch always feels somewhat outdated
- No good search function supported in couch
I load frameworks and write bugs on top of them, after that I rearrange the code so that it looks like a cool product.
Hi @Tomarnst,

Thank you for your input. Looking forward to hear from you more :)

I also came across your inventory/crm mentions. Do you use Couch for some advanced stuff? Very interesting..
@trendoman,

advanced stuff

Advanced ... pffffff arghhh uhhh ... not really :lol:

As for the inventory/CRM thing:

Basically I use the Couch CRUD functions for my invoices (selling/buying) for internal use (on my local server). Mini ERP/CRM system. I really need to clean the code, but I have a chronic lack of time. I hope to get things going on this again at the beginning of 2016, I'm also a little bit waiting for the new version of Couch so I can do all at once.
I load frameworks and write bugs on top of them, after that I rearrange the code so that it looks like a cool product.
@Tomarnst, :mrgreen: glad you find yourself in a good mood.

Instead of sharing the code, could you provide screenshots of how it's all done? It might inspire others and give ideas. :)
5 posts Page 1 of 1