Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I got a website which consists several version, chinese, english and germany.

I need to a cms photo gallery for this website. I always name the menu with the folder name. For example, In backend cms, I named my first folder 'dining furniture', my front-end's first menu will show the folder name 'dining furniture'.

Here is my problem, I can only have one folder name, what should I do with the chinese and germany's website? They got their own language version of folder name...

Any suggestion?

@KK
, just a side question please: Shall we be able in the new admin panel to upload pictures in gallery template from the server also? Now, we have plpuploader and the option is always to upload from pc. In the case of this topic it, probably, could be a space and time saver to create 3 different galleries with respective names in their languages in 3 different templates, but re-use the pictures.
@nsy,
I assume you are using the No. 3 method described at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

One of the cons mentioned in that thread for this method is -
There will be a single URL for any given page for all the languages - this could have SEO implications.

You seem to be running into a variation of this drawback.
Folders, I'm afraid, can only have a single name as it is their unique ID. So there is little we can do about the URLs for the different languages.

However, I think, what you are asking for is the menu 'text'. This can be handled by adding more editable regions to folders using 'extended-folders' -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8581
http://www.couchcms.com/docs/extended-e ... /post2.htm

Hope it helps.
@trendoman,
thanks for pointing out to me that there is no current way to create a gallery (i.e. bulk-create several cloned pages) using existing images. I'll see if we can do something about it.
In the case of this topic it, probably, could be a space and time saver to create 3 different galleries with respective names in their languages in 3 different templates, but re-use the pictures.
If the three templates how exactly the same images, one easy way that is currently available would be to upload images in only one template and in the other two simply use <cms:pages> tag with 'masterpage' pointing to the first template. What do you think about it?
KK wrote: use <cms:pages> tag with 'masterpage' pointing to the first template. What do you think about it?

@KK, thanks for asking me, i'm the noob here compared to you :)

What I think is that every image very often has a description and title in specific language.
So, enumerating with pages we also get system variables, which are the same, unless we intentionally create duplicate editables in gallery, just to cover titles and descriptions in languages for every image. Duplicating editables is not a problem, if we already know how many languages we have. :)
@KK, thanks for asking me, i'm the noob here compared to you :)
By no means, @trendoman! It is I who should be thanking you for your valuable feedback :)

I get your point.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'll definitely look into how to implement what you suggested.

Thanks again :)
Actually 2 language can be easily solved, all you need to do is put another language term at k_folder_desc and make the layout display description instead of folder title.

The problem is third language :( :(
nsy wrote: The problem is third language :( :(

I am coding now a site with 3 languages, chose a path with 3 editables.

As to your method - search forum for folder_masterpage. It appeared very easy to add unlimited editables for a folder.

You will be fine :)
@trendoman,

Thanks for your advise, but I don't get what you means...

I decided to go 'extended folder' section as KK mentioned, I think it has a more flexible way to let me handle the CMS. Haven't try it yet, not sure what will I get...

As a front end designer, CMS is never easy to me :(
@nsy you will get to it, once you start Extended Folders. EF - is exactly what i meant and EF is a great solution. Sorry, will try explain myself better next time :)
10 posts Page 1 of 1