Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
I really like the look and functionality of couchcms but I would like to use it on a localhost such as wamp, lamp or xampp. I know there is a portable version but I would prefer being able to use it as I would on a server. So far I can get a fresh download to run briefly but it eventually fails on me.

Is there any way I can manage this.

Regards
Hi @Sertius,

.. I would prefer being able to use it as I would on a server.
Not a problem.
The installation procedure remains exactly the same as with a hosted server.

In fact, our illustrated tutorial that takes you through the installation process assumes you are doing it on a local stack (WAMP, XAMPP etc.) - http://docs.couchcms.com/tutorials/port ... ling-couch

Please take a look at the aforementioned tutorial. Let us know if something remains unclear.

Thanks.
Thank for the reply.

I have tried a fresh install of the database, aurelius and couch. Once I remove the .htaccess file from the couch folder it will install and run once.

I managed to get it to make the initial changes to the about.php file but having exited upon my return I have problems.

When I start Couch I get a list of all files in the couch directory and I have to click on index.php to get the login screen.

Upon logging in I have the message 'waiting for localhost' in an endless loop.

I must be doing something wrong but cannot see it.
Local stacks are known to be flaky, unfortunately :(

It is difficult to know about the problem without seeing it first-hand (which, obviously, is not an option here).
Any reason why you wouldn't want to try out the portable version of Couch?
I think it'd save you exactly such kind of hassles.
Thanks again for a very prompt reply.

I suppose that I feel that by using Couchcms within my Wamp or Xampp environments I would have more control.

My intent is to convert a number of static HTML sites to couchcms based systems and I would like to have each one set within its own folder along with the couch folder inside. Each site will then have its database named after the site - eg the Aurelius sample site would have the database name aurelius.

After performing my changes locally and showing my clients, I can then export the database and import that along with the new couchcms based pages to their hosts.

Thank you
I get your point, @Sertius.
But you can do precisely that even with the portable version - it *is* a WAMP stack after all.

You'll find a 'start_tray.exe' within the extracted folder. Clicking it will create a system-tray icon that you can use to control your stack. It includes a link to phpMyAdmin that you could use to create databases for your various clients.

In short, you can do all the things that you plan to do on XAMPP/WAMP etc.

I suggest you give it a try.

Thanks.
I had used the portable version before and it works flawlessly for me. However, I would have liked to have been able to just keep one local server system on the go at a time. That said, I have managed to use Couchcms on several sites on my local server using Uniserver.

So, once again, thanks for the assistance but would there be any chance that future developments might see Couchcms being able to run problem free in other systems like Wamp, Mamp and Xampp?

Thanks
but would there be any chance that future developments might see Couchcms being able to run problem free in other systems like Wamp, Mamp and Xampp?
Let me assure you that there is nothing in Couch that would prevent it from executing properly on Wamp, Mamp and Xampp. In fact there are numerous users out there using it on these stacks just fine.

The problem you are facing is specific to your own installation. As I mentioned, local stacks can be fidgety.

The situation is compounded for me by the fact that, unlike hosted server, I cannot step in and do anything about it :(
Not to worry - but thanks for the reply I shall look further into my installation when I have time and see if I can discover what is causing the problem.

Thanks
You are welcome :)
11 posts Page 1 of 2