Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
For me the scariest part of giving a client so much content management capability is the apparent absence of any form of SQL backup or revision control, not even an undo command. Right now this is making me nervous about any commercial implementation of the CMS. Given that this capability is unlikely to be incorporated into the core CMS anytime soon, has anyone got a solution to this problem?

Ideally I would like a progressive undo but that might be a challenge. The option for the client to be able to press a button on the admin screen that takes a snapshot of the database before an edit session with a restore capability would probably be enough.

What about any easy-to-use third party MySQL database backup tools?

ANY ideas welcomed. I'm all-stop until I solve this one......

Thanks!
Graham
Graham, there is a safety-net available in the form of 'drafts'.
I wonder if you missed noticing it?

While editing any existing cloned-page, click the 'Advanced setting' dropdown to find the 'Create Draft' button. Clicking it will create a copy of the page. All edits now will be effected on this copy instead of the original page. You can even preview this draft (will not be visible to the general public).

Once satisfied with the changes, click 'Update Original' (again from the 'Advanced setting').
This will copy the changes to the original and delete the draft.

One can create as many drafts as required so if you require to keep a backup of the original post, create two drafts. This way even when one is persisted into the main page, you'll have the other one around as a backup of the original contents.

As for the SQL backup, please see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9267

Hope it helps.
Thanks KK,
I'm not using cloned pages - predominantly just repeating sections at the moment - so I'm not sure that the drafts solution works for me and the SQL backup process you linked to is not quite as user friendly as I would like (Optional restores, date restores etc.).

What I have found is a hosting company (GoDaddy) that provides a simple control panel functionality for daily SQL backup and selective restore. That should cover my concerns.

Integration of this capability into the Couch control panel would be awesome as it could allow transaction by transaction undo rather than a bulk revert. One day when you are REALLY bored ;) ......
Graham
I'm not using cloned pages - predominantly just repeating sections at the moment - so I'm not sure that the drafts solution works for me
One can create drafts from non-clonable templates also so that shouldn't be a problem.

I agree though that there is nothing quite like having a SQL backup :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1