Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi guys!

I would like to know what would be the best approach to achieve this:
It is necessary to keep the yearly record of some folders which contains documents. User must be able to list folders by years, then access the folders and the containing documents.
I was thinking to use couch's Folders for years, subfolders for folder names and a clonable template (editables for: document name, reg. number, date, incoming/outgoing, storage office .... ) for documents. The scanned version of the document will also be uploaded. Is this approach ok so far?
The problem is that I need something else, too. The folders are stored in an office. But sometimes folders or some documents from the folders could be "borrowed" by other offices. To know exactly where this folders or documents were in a specific period, I'l need to keep a history of the offices where they were borrowed. My question i, how can be this achieved?
Thanks.
Hi everybody!

Since I've started this topic and got now answer, I figured out by myself what approach should I use and already finished my "application".
Because I'm planning to use only the frontend for data entering and displaying I dropped the initial approach before starting the implementation and didn't used couch folders at all. Everything is based on the member module and to this I've added 5 clonable and 1 unclonable template which serve the purpose of entering, displaying and linking data together: years.php, folders.php, documents.php, folder-trace.php, document-trace.php (clonables) and add-years.php (unclonable). There are relations defined between years.php and folders.php, folders.php and documents.php, folder-trace.php and folders.php, document-trace.php and documents.php.
- years.php page view is used to list the related folders and adding new folders;
- folders.php page view to list related documents info, adding new documents, view the folder's trace, adding new trace record and also to edit folder info (folder name,description, QR code - the QR code is made and uploaded after the new folder is created and contains the folder's URL, QR which is printed then on the physical folder. If something's wrong with the physical folder, the QR code can be scanned and the user will be led directly to the folder, so the available online content can be compared with the physical, printed content.);
-documents.php page view is used to display document trace, adding new trace record and edit document info.
This way the app allows to keep a clear image of who and when created a folder or document, where is or was a folder or document in a specific time, access of the .doc and .pdf version of documents, etc. Everything is organized in a tab based UI, so user can easily switch between desired informations. Right what I needed to organize my work ;)
Hi guys!

A little update to my previous post ;)
As I haven't implemented anything with QR code before, after the testing process it came the time for real life data entering and had to handle over 60 folders. In this stage I've realized that the QR code generating, saving, couch uploading, folder's cover-page creating and printing (in text editor) process takes a lot of time. So I searched for a way to automate the process and succeeded to obtain the printed version of cover-page with a single click: text needed to be printed was available on page, the inserted code from pageqrcode.com into my page generates automatically the QR code for the current URL, and jQuery.print.js from http://www.jqueryscript.net/other/jQuery-Plugin-To-Print-Any-Part-Of-Your-Page-Print.html makes possible to print only the desired div's content (with css formating), the one containing the text and QR code :D
I know this is not Couch related, but I thought somebody may need some day something like this, and could use it.
A neat tip(s)!
4 posts Page 1 of 1