Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
hi all,

quick question regarding creating pages from a master template ( cloned pages ).

will it slow down / break / cause problems on my website if I had to create 1000's of pages ( news articles )

I will obviously use pagination and only display about 20 articles per page.

or will it work just fine? I am on shared hosting, not VPS / Dedicated server.
Hi Devan,

I think you can safely have any number of normal cloned pages.
The limitation is with 'nested-pages' which is not what you meant, I suppose.
hi KK,

thank you, 100%, just what I wanted to hear :-)

If I load the data into the database via CSV file, will that be problematic or should it work?

Is there anything I should know before proceeding with CSV import?
We don't have a CSV importer, I am afraid, Devan.
I don't think simply loading data into the database using CSV will work unless there is a script that knows how Couch internally stores data.
Another handy thing to know - if you're ever displaying all the records - is you have to specify the limit of records if it's going to be more than 2000 (I believe).

As an example, I use cloned pages to create a database of people who complete summer programs at the library where I work - we average around 6000-8000 completions per year. So the loop that populates the table for export to Excel looks like this:

Code: Select all
<cms:pages masterpage='summer_database.php' folder="<cms:show frm_srp_source />"  limit='10000'>
     ...insert information into table...
</cms:pages>

When I was testing it, not all records appeared in the table unless I specified an upper limit above the number of records.
hi KK,

I will use PHPmyAdmin to directly import the CSV file, I will create 2-3 pages manually to see how to create the CSV file to be compatible with how couch stores the data.

many thanks
6 posts Page 1 of 1