Hey, just want to have a discussion on idea I had recently. I have no idea, whether it is possible or no, but need a basic yes/no, and if yes - some steps would be appreciated.

So - for multilingual pages, this seems to be the easiest and most efficient way of handling the pages.

KK wrote: Continuing the discussion above regarding multi-lingual sites, I'd like to add a third method of handling them -

3. Creating a separate editable region for each language
As opposed to the solution above where we give each language a separate template, this method requires only a single template.
Pros:
    Does not clutter the sidebar with multiple templates.
    Does not require the user to upload static assets (e.g. images, files etc.) multiple times - one for each language.
    Might be easier to implement

Cons:
    There will be a single URL for any given page for all the languages - this could have SEO implications.
    Likewise, comments of all languages will appear on the same page.

What I need:

This method
    Reasonable file structure

With file structure I mean this.

So - it appears it's impossible to do it now - but remembering from early documentation reads - there is this feature -> MASQUERADING.

"Masquerading is a very powerful method that can be used to make the pointer page behave as if it were the target section itself. By using this option we can virtually move an entire section anywhere within the nested-pages hierarchy, thus being able to choose any arbitrary URL for that section."

My question is - can we combine these two methods, based on switch.php or variable, to get the effect? Given the website is small, and there won't be much other content, there is place for any kind of navigation -> but still would like to keep a limited count of templates.

So this is option number one -> unverified, and I really haven't figured out, how the masquerading really works.

Second option is -> rolling the multitemplate thing -> but keeping empty templates. (for instance, website with 5 pages and 3 languages, will have 20 templates, like 5 master templates, and 3 empty ones, just for links. Tons of snippets could help as well. Thanks to cheesypoof, I've been starting to do this.

Code: Select all
      <!-- Callout Panel -->

<cms:set callout_message_en='Our values are reputation on the market and highly qualified team.' />
      <cms:set callout_message_ru='Наши ценности это репутация на рынке и квалифицированная команда.' />
      <cms:set callout_message_lv='Mūsu vērtības ir tirgus reputācija un augsti kvalificēta komanda.' />

<cms:set callout_link_en='Get to know us better' />
      <cms:set callout_link_ru='Узнайте о нас' />
      <cms:set callout_link_lv='Uzzini vairāk par mums' />

<div class="row">
         <div class="large-12 columns">
            <div class="panel ef-panel">
               <div class="ef-panel-inner">
                  <section class="row">
                     <div class="large-9 columns">
                        <h3><cms:get "callout_message_<cms:show my_lang/>"/></h3>
                     </div>
                     <div class="large-3 columns text-right hide-for-print">
                        <a href="#" class="button round medium ef-purchase ef-no-margin"><cms:get "callout_link_<cms:show my_lang/>"/></a>
                     </div>
                  </section>
               </div>
            </div>
         </div>
      </div>

And another variant I use works like this:

Code: Select all
<cms:embed "srvguide_<cms:show my_lang/>.html"/>

So I'm pretty sure, there is a way to get decent file structure, applying small hacks. Just wanted input on masquerading really, and if that could work.