Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
I just started using couch and you may have converted me from perch :).
I would like some direction on the following...
I have a list of items and each item includes a title, image, and description (a few paragraphs). The client will need to add/delete as many items as they want. Would you recommend using repeatables or cloned pages to do this? I set it up as a repeatable because each item doesn't need its own page, but it may be nice to provide something more robust than nicedit for the client. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome, rubiksolver :)

You may have noticed - in Couch, there are often multiple ways of implementing the same thing.
And whatever suits you is usually the best way.

For the use-case you described, I'll add a third method to the two you already know - nested-pages (http://www.couchcms.com/docs/concepts/n ... maker.html).

Each of the three have their pros and cons. Namely -
1. Repeatable-regions:
Pros:
Most intuitive to the client as the complete data-set is visible on the same page.
Can use drag-n-drop to order the rows
Cons:
Will become unwieldy if the number of rows (equivalent to pages of the other two methods) or columns (fields) are large.
Does not support all types of editable-regions. For example, CKEditor is not supported (and Nicedit might not prove a perfect replacement)

2. Cloned-pages
Pros:
Can have, potentially, any number of cloned-pages.
Has the full set of editable regions available for use

Cons:
Each page is a distinct entity - might not be congruent to the use-case being implemented (e.g. where all 'pages' are only meant to be displayed on a single page)
Do not support drag-n-drop re-ordering

3. Nested-pages
Pros:
Not suitable for unlimited number of pages - yet can be used for pages running in thousands.
Has the full set of editable regions available for use.
Can use drag-n-drop to order the rows

Cons:
Each page is a distinct entity

So there you have it. Take your pick :)
I'd go for nested-pages as they offer the best of the other two.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the quick and thorough answer. I'll probably test all three, then make a decision.
3 posts Page 1 of 1