Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue installing Couch, I have followed the suggestion on the couch site renamed my config file and pointed it to the Database i created for it.
Every time I try to install couch I get this error

Could not connect to database
Access denied for user 'ÔrootÕ'@'localhost' (using password: YES).

My username and password is correct and so is the database name in the config file.

Could someone please assist I hate WP and I really do not want to use it PHP is not my strong point.

Thanks

Keith
Hello and welcome, Keith :)

Regarding the problem you mentioned - as reported by the error, it pertains to the uername/password.
What strikes me as odd, though, are the two special characters appearing in the username -
Access denied for user
'ÔrootÕ'@'localhost' (using password: YES).
It should normally just be 'root'.

So if indeed the username is just 'root', please try deleting and reentering it - probably you copy/pasted it from another file and that gave it the extra characters.

Can you also please verify that the config.php file (where you have entered these creds) has an encoding of utf8? (your text editor should show this somewhere).

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted.
Thanks.
Hi and thanks for the quick response & nice welcome :) ,

The config file is utf-8 and the username is root I have tried again re-entering the user name and I still get the error, I typed the username and password there was no copy and pasting, I cant seem to figure out what is going on.

Thanks

Keith
Keith, the problem has to be with the name/password.
If you could try installing any other script/CMS on the same setup with the same creds, I am sure you'll run into the same error.

More ever, since your installation is not publicly available, there is really little I can do to help you (normally I would have asked for access and tried troubleshooting the issue myself).

I can only say that if possible please try moving to an online server. This way you could count on me to step in where needed.

Thanks.
Hi ,

I Just installed WP on Mamp with same credentials and there was no problem at all its really strange. I will try to upload to my testing server which is not local and try and install couch that way, and get back to you.

Thanks for the help so far.

Keith
Hi,

I uploaded to my testing Server and it is now installed, I am not sure why it would not install correctly in Mamp but at least I have it running now.

Do you know of any good place where they do tuts for setting up couch in Mamp, I have goggled but could not find any.

Keith
Keith, installing Couch on MAMP is the same as installing any other script. Also, we haven't had any previous reports of problems getting Couch installed on MAMP. I guess it has to be something one-off.

Anyways, I am glad you can finally play with Couch :)
Do let us know if you happen to require any help.

Thanks.
I recently set up MAMP as a local development environment for Couch. I had to go through some fiddling and search engine trouble-shooting to get it working the way I wanted, but there is no particular incompatibility between MAMP and Couch.

Early on in the process, I had a similar error where I couldn't connect to the database even though I had set up my credentials properly. I had to change the default MYSQL user in the Apache configuration file.

You're unlikely to find anything specifically about setting up Couch with MAMP, but if you search for your error and MAMP, or 'MYSQL user MAMP' you should uncover some of the same resources that helped me.
8 posts Page 1 of 1