Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi guys and girls

Have been hearing a lot of good things about Couch, and I'm eager to get started.
However I just got a question I would like an answer to:

I have a lot of sites (from other people) I would like to manage, however those sites are on a server witcht does not support service side scripts like PHP, MySQL, ...

So I was wondering if it is possible to install CouchCMS on a different servert witch does support scripting and manage those sites from there?

Example:
Want to manage the site users.telenet.be\test (no PHP, MySQL supported)
Can this be done from an other site like www.thisismysite.com (PHP, MySQL is supported)

I'm affraid the pages (you want to edit) itself do require PHP code.

Thanks for your undoubtedly clear and perfect answer ;)
Hi ongenae,

I must say that is a very original requirement :)

The sites that you want to manage, as you informed, do not support PHP or MySQL - so effectively they can only host static HTML pages.

Couch, however, cannot function without PHP or MySQL so, of course, cannot be used on such sites.
There is also no native support inbuilt with Couch to host it on one site and use it to control other sites.

I suppose one could, if he applies himself to the task, setup something like making the user login into the site where Couch is hosted, edit pages the usual way and then generate plain HTML files and push them via FTP to the 'dumb' sites.
But this would be a non-trivial task and you'd be creating something like CushyCMS or SurrealCMS.

So, I am sorry but I don't think there is any straightforward way of using Couch for the sort of scenario you described.
So if I understand they all will have to switch to servers witch do support PHP and MySQL.
Will every site be needing a Couch installation? Or can it be managed on a central site?

Thank you for the help so far.
.. they all will have to switch to servers witch do support PHP and MySQL.
Right.
Will every site be needing a Couch installation?
Yes.
Thank you for the help so far.
You are welcome :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1