Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
I have followed the Gallery tutorial and created a gallery with few folders.
I have used a slimbox clone (easybox) for lightbox which supports youtube videos also.
Now I need to create a video gallery also with 5-6 youtube videos (when thumbnail is clicked will open video in a lightbox).
Thumbnails can be created manually or taken from youtube (ex: https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/<insert-youtube-video-id-here>/mqdefault.jpg)
Please let me know how setting that up will be different from the photo gallery.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Apologies for the bump.
I tried creating a video gallery by manually placing a couple of thumbnails which when clicked opens a youtube video in a lightbox (easybox).
But I would like to let a user add new videos to the gallery (like the photo gallery).
Please let me know how this is possible.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in reply but I seem to have missed your post completely.

As for the video gallery -
I don't think the photo gallery tutorial we have can be *directly* useful in this case because the cardinal point in that tutorial was the bulk photo uploader that automatically created the pages.

Since we cannot bulk upload the videos, we'll have to fall upon our regular cloned pages.
The way I see it, we can use a clonable template, say named 'videos.php'.
Define two editable region -
1. Textarea with 'no_xss_check' parameter set to '1'. The videos embed code will be pasted in this region.
2. An 'image' region. The URL of the video's thumbnail can be pasted here.

Now, we can use the regular technique of Couch to create a new cloned page for each entry. In our case, for each video we create a cloned page and enter the embed code and thumbnail.

On the front-end, we use the cms:pages tag to list the videos in a format that is usable by slimbox. This portion of the solution can be derived from the gallery tutorial you mentioned.

Finally, if the number of videos in the gallery is likely to be small (i.e will be only 10-20 videos), instead of a separate clonable template we can use a 'repeatable region' instead with the two regions mentioned above displayed as a row.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Thanks a lot, KK.
The number of videos is just around 10 at the most 15.
So I will try with repeatable regions.
Will let you know. Thanks again.
Video gallery setup with the help of your valuable input.
Thanks a lot.
Please let me know if there is any way to order (sort) the thumbnail images in the gallery (ex: name / date wise etc).
Thanks a lot.
Hi,

You can easily set the display order manually using drag-n-drop (extreme left of rows has a handle for dragging).

Since repeatable-regions are meant to deal with only a limited number of rows, there is no other method except the manual one mentioned to set the sort order.
Ok.. thank you.
But is there any method to order items (while displaying) in the photo gallery (Images bulk uploaded)
Thanks again.
For gallery, the thumbnails displayed in the admin-panel are always displayed in the order they are added (recent first). This, I am afraid, is fixed and cannot be changed.

While displaying on the front-end, however, since we use the regular cms:pages to do the listing, all the values acceptable by the tag's 'orderby' parameter (i.e. publish_date (default),
page_name, page_title, modification_date, comments_count, random) can be used for ordering the images.
In addition to the above values, gallery images may also be ordered by 3 new values - file_name, file_ext and file_size.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for your explanation, KK.
Really appreciate your patience.
You are welcome :)
14 posts Page 1 of 2