Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,
Just a quick intro: I'm a front end developer who works primarily on custom responsive sites. I've been working over the last two years with developers who use the Django framework atop Python and while it's really powerful for large sites, we've been thinking the entire setup and customizing is a a bit of an overkill for small sites.

I came across couch last week and honestly, I've been quite blown away by the ease with which you can do most things. Even the admin interface is amazing and I really think users will appreciate it. I downloaded the tutorial files and wow, set up a blog in two days. I'm tinkering with it right now, and my Python developer is very impressed with the way it's been structured. Your documentation is amazing.

KK, you seem like a great guy, and I will definitely support and buy a license for my first project with couch (am seriously considering it).

A couple of questions (while messing around in the tutorial): I managed to simulate tags using the many to many relations (this way the user can see the list of tags with checkboxes in the admin and not repeat them). Is this an appropriate solution for a large number of tags, or would you recommend something else?

Last question, a bit curious if the concept of a media library is on the cards (multiple file uploads would be icing on the cake - what you have for the gallery option is really very nice). Perhaps I have missed this in the docs?

Regards,
Karen
Hi Karen,

First of all, welcome :)
Thank you very much for those very kind words. I am really glad you liked Couch (more so, considering your experience with django - a framework reputed for its elegance).

Replying to your queries -
I managed to simulate tags using the many to many relations (this way the user can see the list of tags with checkboxes in the admin and not repeat them). Is this an appropriate solution for a large number of tags, or would you recommend something else?
It is certainly an appropriate solution. I fact, whenever tagging facility gets natively introduced, it will piggyback on the n-n relations with a hidden template for tags in the background.

a bit curious if the concept of a media library is on the cards (multiple file uploads would be icing on the cake - what you have for the gallery option is really very nice).
The coming version (1.4) will ship with a new file-manager and it (of other things) will support multiple uploads.

Hope this answers your query.
Thanks KK, that definitely answers my questions. I'm pretty excited about the multiple file uploader. We're deciding whether to use Couch on a very small website for a journalist, will hopefully go in that direction, and I will post on the forum as and when.

Thanks for everything, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the repeatables (with draggable ordering), effective n-n relations (and nice widgets in the admin), and the customisable richtext editors (I'm not a fan of ckeditor's kitchen sink, but since customising for different editable areas is easy, that's a solid winner). I'm going to research the nested templates over the next few days and will post with queries, if any.
3 posts Page 1 of 1