Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Is it possible in couch to guide the client for positioning their images correctly, based upon a designers' template?

ie. the client will upload an image to his liking. This can have other dimensions, proportions and file size compared to what the designer had in mind. Is it possible so the client can upload the images while being guided to what the viewport for the image will be (read: guiding the client to the final outcome, respecting dimensions and file size as what developer had in mind).

I think ie. Expression Engine lets you upload and reposition the image so you can reposition the focus of the image. ie. when somebody's head on an image would dissapear.

thanks...
Hi,

The default setting for 'image' type editable region is 'enforce_max' which makes sure that an uploaded image never exceeds the dimensions set by the designer (as explained at http://www.couchcms.com/docs/tags-refer ... image.html).

So if you have set the width/height parameters, your design should not get messed up regardless of the original dimensions of the uploaded image. The image also, more or less, remains 'non-mutilated' as this setting only involves resizing and no part of the image is discarded. That is to say, nobody's head is going to get chopped.

However, if you choose the 'crop' setting, although the dimensions are still retained (so your design still is safe), now in a bid to attain those dimensions portions of the image can get cropped (and this could be the head you mentioned).

If 'crop' setting is unavoidable, as a crude workaround, I suggest you associate a 'thumbnail' region with the original region. Make sure that the dimensions of both regions are same.

When the main image gets uploaded, the thumbnail (of the same size) gets created automatically.
However, as you must have noticed, the thumbnail offers additional control over the generated thumbnail by allowing to tweak the crop position (i.e. from top-left, bottom-right etc.). This way the client can exert finer control over the output.

Finally, on the front-end instead of showing the main image, show the thumbnail instead.
Crude, I know - but will get the job done.

Does this help?
Thanks. I think this will cover it indeed. Will try once implementing the cms...
3 posts Page 1 of 1