Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm diving deeper and deeper into this CMS and I'm loving it :-) Time to grasp the licensing system of Couch.

What exactly happens to my Couch installation when I acquire a license?

Do I receive a key of some kind?

And if I acquire the Pro license, how much control do I have over the back end (the menu, etc..)

I haven't worked with a non open source CMS before, so I am somewhat hesitant.
Hi,

I'll try to explain -
buying a commercial license will only get you a 'couch.lic' file.
A file by this name is already present in the free version of Couch but that is the 'free' license.
You are then expected to simply overwrite the original 'couch.lic' with the one you get.
And that is it. Nothing more to do. Your original installation does not need any change at all.

As to how much control you have after buying a PRO license - that is explained on http://www.couchcms.com/products/. To paraphrase -
The most important thing that a license buys for you is assured support.
You'll also be able to replace Couch's logo, name and link with that of your own. Of course the footer link on the front-end pages disappears automatically.
Apart form this, there are no structural changes that are possible (though you are free to use CSS to change the admin-panel quite a bit - please see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6962)

Hope this answers your query.
Thanks for the explanation.

So I guess this code inside couch.lic somehow also checks the domain name. So that when you move to another domain, it falls back to the free license or something.
3 posts Page 1 of 1