Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
31 posts Page 3 of 4
Kamran,

Firstly, please do not apologise, I never poised this thread for the "heavy lifting" to be done for me (i.e. complete solution) however that is what you have done and I wholeheartedly thank you for;

1. Your Time.
2. Your Patience.
3. Continued patience for questions I pose that not necessarily subvert the primary usage but clearly demonstrate the cleverness of your CMS and it's flexibility, while these approaches might not be required for all they absolutely demonstrate the flexibility of Couch.
4. Your enthusiasm for your project, which is truly fantastic.
5. Speed of response - do you ever sleep? :)
6. Your demonstration of understanding, knowledge and customer support, you are really able to cater for the needs of users and help them find a best fit.

I hope, to anyone considering Couch, really consider this when making their choice to use your CMS, you truly are very talented, enthusiastic and patient. I hope to be able to offer a fraction of the support you do in the forums going forward (as my knowledge increases).

Thank you, and I hope this approach is useful to users, I hope to post a "Tip" regarding this requirement once I have fully implemented it if you think that might be good for others to use - I will try and create a tutorial type write up.

Again, thank you for your time and help :)
You are welcome Patrick :) My pleasure.
Do keep us posted about your opinion on using this method for creating mobile version of sites.
I certainly will, I am doing some work on this now so I will have a good update come Monday - when I hope to have re-structured everything and got a fully working version.

Personally I really like the whole embed approach as it's something more familiar to my past experience with Expression Engine, it may be just me but the fact I define editable regions in a template that doesn't serve them separates the aesthetics from the definition (I suppose like MVC in my understanding).

Thank you again! :)
these posts need a like button, or something better, i bet you patrickvibes' congratulatory message to Kamran would have alotta hits!

been following this thread and now that my site is a tad bit away from completion, i shall try to implement a mobile version too.

Kamran we need to buy u a beer man! thank you
cheesyproof u too. lol
---
You live many times, but only ever remember your lives.length - 1
---
Thank you so very much for your appreciation :)
And thank you for supporting Couch.
I just try and do my job :)
I've finally attempted this method, and off hand I see a few problems for me, unless I'm wrong....

1. The PHP Mobile_Detect script has to be placed on every page?
I placed it in my index.php but if someone types in domain-name.com/folder2, they will be sent to folder2's normal page and ignore that the user is on a mobile, because the mobile-detect script isn't present on the folder2 page, not so?
I think a better method would be to detect the users device using the htaccess file, (I saw that on a site somewhere)

2. I would much rather my mobile site be M.domain-name.com and not an embeded html, I hope this doesnt mean I would need 2 couch installations.
Maybe if the Mobile-detect script could send the user to m.domain-name.com instead, that would be a better solution, I just need to know how to link those mobile pages back to the main couch installation.

3. What if you're on a mobile! You're directed to the mobile site quite alright BUT you Still want to view the full site. Then what
---
---
Still a workin progress but here's an idea...
http://simmonsstudio.net

Only the index has the Mobile_Detect script, adding /contact sends u to the normal page, as the mobile_detect script is non existent there
---
---
@simmons
1. The PHP Mobile_Detect script has to be placed on every page?
Yes.

Maybe if the Mobile-detect script could send the user to m.domain-name.com instead, that would be a better solution
Redirect using PHP or Couch's cms:redirect tag. The mobile specific domain may or may not be Couch managed but will be a separate entity.

3. What if you're on a mobile! You're directed to the mobile site quite alright BUT you Still want to view the full site. Then what
Then you'll have to put in more conditional logic. One way would be to store in session the visitor's preference. All the tools are present but you'll need to code things up.
Separate entity sounds like something I don't wanna do lol. I need the data entered in index.php via couch (entered once) to reflect in the m/index.php also. Anyway...

Where can I find info on sessions with couch? I googled hoping to find a prior post but instead I uncovered disturbing results...("Awkward sessions on the couch") hahaha
---
---
:) Good one, that

You can find the (hopefully, not too awkward) info on Couch sessions here -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7377
31 posts Page 3 of 4