Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
A new Cookie Law was introduced in the EU earlier this year (more here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx) and we are now seeing various attempts at compliance from larger websites. Pop-ups appear asking for permission to use cookies - all very confusing to the average person who probably hasn't a clue what this means. I think the reasoning behind the directive is well intentioned but it will be impossible to police and won't stop bad practices. The law affects nearly all sites since simply installing Google Analytics means you are using cookies!

All a bit of a headache for site developers and small site developers in particular. I realise I have to take some action in the face of this law, if only to satisfy savvy clients who ask me if their site is compliant. Anyway, after a bit of searching around I have decided that "implied consent by notice" will be sufficient for the sites I develop (they never have advertising) and I will put a link to a "cookies notice" in the footer, where I will list cookies used and what they do.

A couple of questions:

:?: KK does Couch use cookies when someone visits a site?

:?: Others based in the EU - what are your thoughts on this? Are you going to contact all past clients re updating their sites?
Hi Potato,
KK does Couch use cookies when someone visits a site?

Couch uses cookies only for authenticated users (i.e. those who login).
The way Couch stands right now (v1.3), the only persons who'll be logging into it would be the site-owner or the developer (the 'authenticated users' functionality is pretty rudimentary and I doubt if you'd be using it).

As for the visitors, they won't be served any kind of cookie at all.
So you can safely state that the site does not make use of cookies.
ok soooo, if i want to add the whole
Code: Select all
<?php setcookie("user", "Alex Porter", time()+3600);?>
code to my site, then i'd have to place it Before or After the
Code: Select all
<?php require_once('couch/cms.php');?>
code?
---
You live many times, but only ever remember your lives.length - 1
---
@cholasimmons
Since you are using straight PHP, I don't think the sequence would matter - you can place the statement either before or after the one that includes Couch.

However, as an alternative you could also use cms:set_cookie tag (http://www.couchcms.com/docs/tags-refer ... ookie.html) for the same effect. Since that is a Couch tag, it would, obviously come after including Couch runtime.
4 posts Page 1 of 1