Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
19 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks,

Actually now I see how your rich text editor works, It's brilliant and does exactly what I want! I believe once I've got passed these couple of kinks Couch will be perfect for lots of sites, and I've yet found a simple CMS that offers so much.

However I'm still having problems with this installation, when I add the richtext line to the page it seems to crash Couch but only on the page with the rich text. so if I add 2 pages to Couch then add the rich text line to one page, if I then try to select that page in the couch I see the "web page not available" screen saying the connection was interrupted. The text area function seems to work though.

I seem to be causing you lots of grief I'm sorry!
Hi Jake,

The problems you are mentioning is typical of WAMPSever/XAMPP. They have a knack of serving incomplete JS files (CKEditor becomes the first causality of this behaviour. This has been discussed elsewhere also on the forums).
Trust me, Couch has little to do with these problems and once you move to a proper hosted server, the problems should disappear.

From my personal experience, the Uniserver used with portable Couch is far more stable and we routinely use it to develop sites locally.

If you happen to have a hosted space somewhere, you can also install Couch in a sub-folder. The site can be migrated very easily to the live domain once completed.
Yea I've been using the uniserver and it seems more stable.
I'll try running it on my host server in a "testing zone" and see if I get any problems.
I experienced the same "connection interrupted" problem with wamp. I was able to fix this by installing their php 5.2 addon. If you want to give wamp another try, that may work for you too. Local development is always the way to go if possible. Don't forget though you will need to use the appropriate 5.2 ioncube module.
Thanks for all your help!

I now have a fully functioning site running on my local server, and I'm pleased to say that Couch does everything I want from a CMS without all the headache, thanks!

I am still a little confused with the user privileges though;
It appears that when I set a page to Super Admin level the administrator can still access and edit the back end of the page however they cannot view the page on the front end. This seems like the wrong way round to me, I can't see any situation when this would be useful?
What I would like is to be able to set areas on a page that can be edited within Couch by the Super Admin but not by the lower level admin, but are always visible at the front end. Is this a feature that you would consider adding?
Users and access control, as admitted in the documentation, leaves a lot to be desired. Yet, I don't think a page with super-admin access can be modified/deleted by an admin. Could you please re-check doing so?

Anyways, we begin work on Couch 1.4 soon and this version will almost entirely concentrate on revamping the user/access control part.

You can expect to have
- a better User registration process,
- profiles (with unlimited custom fields),
- granular privileges
- and most importantly User submitted content - i.e. plain users can be allowed to submit content into the system right from the front-end.

The last feature opens up a great number possibilities which were hitherto impossible.
This all sounds like a step in the right direction!
I'd rather not install a new server, as I already have a few test sites on my wamp server. Can I get the ion loader on wamp?
Can I get the ion loader on wamp?

IonCube loaders can be downloaded from http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php.

This wizard may be used to know the version required for your setup
http://www.ioncube.com/loader-wizard/loader-wizard.zip

Hope this helps.
19 posts Page 2 of 2