Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm trying to install CouchCMS on my WAMP server so I can test run it before implementing it on an actual site.
I have followed the instructions in the building a real world site but when I keep getting a blank screen when I try and access the admin section.

I have created a armscii8_general_ci database called "couchtest"
Created a user with privileges on that database: admin password: admin

I updated the config.php to:

// MySQL settings. You need to get this info from your web host.
// 4.
// Name of the database
define( 'K_DB_NAME', 'couchtest' );
// 5.
// Database username
define( 'K_DB_USER', 'admin' );
// 6.
// Database password
define( 'K_DB_PASSWORD', 'admin' );
// 7.
// MySQL hostname (it will usually be 'localhost' )
define( 'K_DB_HOST', 'localhost' );

What am I doing wrong?
Hi Jakelabz,

A blank screen, more often than not, is a sign of missing IonCube loader.

If you are on Windows, for testing out Couch why don't you use the portable bundle downloadable from http://www.couchcms.com/products/ (please scroll to the bottom of the page) ?
It has Apache, MySQL, IonCube etc. pre-configured and you can immediately start installing Couch.

Hope this helps.
Ok, thanks.

I'd rather not install a new server as I already have a few test sites on my wamp server can I get the ionloader on wamp?
The process of installing IonCube loader is outlined at http://www.couchcms.com/docs/requirements.html (scroll a little to the bottom please).
The links are all there. Please use the wizard and the process should be easy.

This apart, the portable server I mentioned is actually entirely self contained and uses non-standard ports for both Apache as well as MySQL. It will not clash with any existing servers on your machine. It also does not require any installation. Use it and once the testing is over simply delete the entire folder and nothing remains of the services involved.
Ok I was using a 64bit version of WAMP which doesn't seem to be suported so I installed the 32bit version and seem to have got ioncube working but now instead of a blank screen I get the following error message:

( ! ) Fatal error: Call to a member function get_HTML() on a non-object in C:\wamp\www\Aurelius\couch\parser\HTMLParser.php on line 409
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.1261 11428552 call_user_func ( ) ..\parser.php:247
2 0.1262 11433184 call_user_func ( ) ..\parser.php:247
3 0.1264 11438512 call_user_func ( ) ..\parser.php:247
4 0.1267 11445360 call_user_func ( ) ..\parser.php:247

I am thinking about trying the portable bundle but I would like to get it working on WAMP if only for my own satisfaction that I managed it!
Hmm.. seems you are using PHP 5.4.3
This error has been reported (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6978) and was traced to IonCube having problem with the latest release of PHP.

Don't know if you noticed but Couch 1.3 got released today (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7014). Could you please try that out instead?
Do let me know how everything goes with PHP 5.4.3.
Thanks.
I tried the new RC and I got as far as the installation screen, but when I tried to install I recieved the following message:

Installation failed!

1146: Table 'couchtest.rel_couch_relations' doesn't exist
CREATE INDEX `couch_relations_Index01` ON `rel_couch_relations` (`pid`, `fid`, `weight`);
Profound apologies Jakelabz,
That indeed is a bug you just caught on 1.3 where it will upgrade correctly but a fresh installation will fail.

I have rectified the bug and the version now downloadable at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7014&p=9133 will install correctly.

I am sincerely sorry for all the trouble you have had to take but would appreciate if you could persist a little more and use the revised version.

Thank you very much indeed.
Thanks,

I've now installed it correctly and am about to start having a play around, I've been very impressed with the level of support I've received on your forums, so thumbs up. The way I see it; all software has bugs that need to be ironed out and if people don't let you know you can't fix them, so I'm more than glad to have helped in that respect.

I did have a go on the portable version as you suggested and have like what I've seen so far, one thing that struck me however is it would be nice to have a little more control over user privileges. I would love to see a method where by I could give someone rich text editing but limit exactly what they can do so they can't mess up my design too much. for example taking away the ability to add a pic. Maybe this is possible and I'm just not seeing it, I don't know. Also when I logged on as a basic admin user I could still see all the regions whether I could edit them or not, this might be confusing for some of my clients. Hope this feedback is useful.

Keep up the good work Couch seems to be a really good and easily implemented system.

Jake
Hi Jake,

Thank you very much indeed for all your support :)
I hope Couch does not disappoint you.

Replying to your questions -
it would be nice to have a little more control over user privileges. I would love to see a method where by I could give someone rich text editing but limit exactly what they can do so they can't mess up my design too much.

As far as access to the admin-panel is concerned, only the super-admin (i.e. the developer/designer) and the admin (the site-owner) can access it. You, as the super-admin, prep up the panel for the site-owner to access and in this regard you have plenty of options to allow only 'this much access and no more'.

e.g. the richtext editor (http://www.couchcms.com/docs/tags-refer ... htext.html) allows you to specify exactly which buttons should be displayed. Remove the 'image' button and you take awway the ability to upload pics. You can also hide templates if required.
Also when I logged on as a basic admin user I could still see all the regions whether I could edit them or not, this might be confusing for some of my clients.

Err.. could you explain that bit more please? All the regions that are visible to the admin would be editable. Couldn't get which ones are non-editable.

Finally, your feedback is very much appreciated. Do keep it coming.
Thanks.
19 posts Page 1 of 2