Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Okay, here goes. I've had a brain wave.

With the company i run which does automotive media we have begun running something called Live stream, basically we update viewers of whats going on at the event, times of laps and such like while we are at the race track.

Today we ran a live stream for a driver, we did this all online and we had a lot of interest.

Now we was using Couch to do this, and that was fine. We just kept updating the blog post online however for future reference we want this to be easy and simple to do.

Here's my idea, maybe someone can give me some input or ideas.
Everyone has facebook of course :lol: So if you go onto that and make a post online, it posts the current time, you're facebook name, and such like. Now the idea. Instead of messing with code and having to try make things right we don't want glitches or errors in the post. So here goes. i think this can work..

Lets say we do something like this in couch.

Idea one
I will build on the website a section called live stream. ''live_stream.php'' in dreamweaver.
Next we would need to build a live stream section in couch. So the live_stream.php is where we will list the posts, and then keep creating clone-able pages. However they wont list and beable to kick onto them, just see the conent, and maybe an image they can click to pop up.

Idea two
The only other way i can think of is have a live section, but maybe use something like you have for comments.. the only trouble is we need tobeable to post photos and words. And rather than have it in the format of just keep updating the page we need it to beable to have it so we can just post feeds one at a time, and then show on all the posts on the page.
I'm not really sure what your questions are, as you seem to already understand couch views handling. I don't think Comments would be the best way to tackle this, it would be inefficient and ultimately prove to be limiting. I personally would do it this way:

I would make a live stream template which only contained the editable regions. To create a live stream post, you would post as you would normally a news item, but you would add something like this to the richtext content:
Code: Select all
[livestream subject="ronnie-aims-practice"]

Using short codes, you could have this code trigger the pages tag and display only the live stream pages with 'ronnie-aims-practice' as their 'subject' editable region. It is then your choice whether you want to create separate pages for each update, or simply keep modifying a single page over and over again.

That is one way to do it, I'm sure there are others. The new 'page relations' feature KK is working on may be of use in this situation.
Thanks for the information.

The main reason we are looking at doing a Live stream, of course a more in-death than you have seen from the Ronnie aims live feed. This was to test what it would be like to run a live stream and of course see what interest we get. We did do a facebook live stream/picture update of the event, but the main problem with this was people only seen pictures rather than whats going on.

We had 528 page hits on just that page alone. that's just supporters of Ronnie checking out what hes doing and of course this was just mearly a test of function and what it takes to run a live stream feed.

We've also had several interest over this too, from quite a few of events they want us to cover, not only for the event report but to Live Stream online.

Here's my predicament. We have staff working for me. They arnt really that technical minded on coding and what code is what, ect. I will be covering events over the up coming months, some high end coverage and one will be stationed to just update the feeds. I don't have time to wait for an iphone to load, otherwise viewers will drop. I have a meeting next week with the leading director of the website backend for the live streaming of a company that does this for Rallycross (comber-nation of tarmac and gravel).. they have over 50,000 hits on there event live stream and we hope to get the viewers in.

So with that i need to make everything simplex for the person updating a live feed. We will need to be-able to just enter some text, an image and post. And couch sometimes bounces and messes things up with blog posts so i dont want any issues hence the main goal of updating one at a time, post. then the next, and so on so forth.

On the left of the website we will run the live feed. And on the right of the website this will hold information like the F1 does, from timmings to whos first, second and so on.

So what will we hold information on for the live stream.

Firstly the post updates will hold information during the race. So status updates ''left''

On the right we will hold at the top, all the drivers entered in the race. go like this. 10 people in the race
1. Name here : fastest lap 1:39.00
2. Second person here
3. 3rd person here
And so on till number 10

Now during the race we want to hold that and also the person who is doing the fastest lap timings. This could be done with an editable, rather than clone for the person who's set the fastest lap. So that's sorted.

Solution
So we would need to have two clone-able templates going into one main listing template that would hold the information. One to hold the status updates and one to hold the leader-board.

Not too sure what you're thoughts are, trouble is it will create pages, rather than store them as something on the SQL database and feed into the website. Because the main goal is being able to keep a few of the newer live feeds for when we pitch the idea across.

We will be having a meeting on the 21 Jan 2013 with the board of directories of the GP2&GP3. They have questioned us on if a live feed is able as they are not really covered by anything, they are hosted by Skysports for live practice sessions however they ain't really got anything else for the none sky subs. And they of course have not got a team of designers/developers to run this process.

Trouble shooting.
The goal would be to have it like a clone-able, but rather than create a page online, and post the data it would have the same as we have now, for clone-able pages in couch but post the information onto a database and hold the information there. and then post the information into the page_listing within the Snippets section of couch.

The other brain ache i'm having at the min is of course the function of the leader board. Being that we want to be able to change them during the race. So currently the person in number 3 has just taken 1st place so we need to change them around quickly, only way i can think of is changing the times, unless there is something else in couch we can do to change the position of the post relevantly quick .

Its all just plans we have so, and hope to be-able to do this really.
Hey Simon,

To be truthful, this motoGP thing is all beyond me so let me admit that I couldn't catch much of what you explained.

Could you direct me to some site that has implemented the feature you are talking about (or something close to it)? I am more likely to understand the requirement upon seeing things in action. Proposing a solution (if possible) can only come after this.

Thanks
:lol: Sorry KK, i totally forget some may not understand some forms of motorsport :-)

I'll design something on photoshop so you can see the idea. :-)
Okay so we have then.

Red, this is where we will update the live feeds. Its much better to update them like a clone page. Its easy to control and simple, saves having to try and submit each post using just an editable. So best to just keep updating with a single post?

Blue Here we need to update the top drivers, so who's at the front and who's at the back during a race. But if someone gets over taken, then we need to place one up, and the other one down. So lets say car number 3 over takes car number 2 then car 3 goes to spot 2 and then car 2 goes to spot 3.

Green Well this is simple really, we can have this as an editable :) as its just displaying, and we can just update this.

Red
It will all feed onto one page, instead of the posted 19min ago it will post the time. It would be much easier to handle with clone pages, and just during the live feed we will just keep adding a new clone. However as we are feeding onto one page, we don't really need the cloned page, would we be able to maybe save it onto the data base rather than create the page.

Blue

This would do the same as above, we would before the race add all the drivers name, so the 10, however while the race is on, we want to be able to move a post up and down with ease.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Simon.

Attachments

A picture is worth a thousand words :)

OK, I get it now and this is what I'd suggest -
Use a template 'live.php' with editable regions that will show up on the 'red' column.
We'll only use the 'home-view' of this template where we'll display the top 20-30 updates.
For each update create a new cloned page. It will automatically get displayed as the first item. The 'xx minutes ago' will also happen automatically using the post's timing.
Don't worry about the updates creating too many cloned pages. If you do not want to retain the older pages after the event is over, simply delete them afterwards.

For the 'blue' column - use a 'nested-pages' template 'drivers.php'. Create a page each for every driver using the driver's name as the title.
We'll display the titles of these nested-pages in the 'blue' column of 'live.php'.
To move a driver up or down, simply use the up/down arrows in nested pages admin panel.
The positions will get reflected in live.php.

The 'green' part can be handled by a third non-clonable template with a drop-down showing the names of the drivers (populate it dynamically by querying the drivers.php template) and another text type that holds the timing.

What do you say? Will it do the job?
KK wrote: A picture is worth a thousand words :)

OK, I get it now and this is what I'd suggest -
Use a template 'live.php' with editable regions that will show up on the 'red' column.
We'll only use the 'home-view' of this template where we'll display the top 20-30 updates.
For each update create a new cloned page. It will automatically get displayed as the first item. The 'xx minutes ago' will also happen automatically using the post's timing.
Don't worry about the updates creating too many cloned pages. If you do not want to retain the older pages after the event is over, simply delete them afterwards.

For the 'blue' column - use a 'nested-pages' template 'drivers.php'. Create a page each for every driver using the driver's name as the title.
We'll display the titles of these nested-pages in the 'blue' column of 'live.php'.
To move a driver up or down, simply use the up/down arrows in nested pages admin panel.
The positions will get reflected in live.php.

The 'green' part can be handled by a third non-clonable template with a drop-down showing the names of the drivers (populate it dynamically by querying the drivers.php template) and another text type that holds the timing.

What do you say? Will it do the job?

Okay i think i understand.

Blue - Of course i wouldn't need them to link to a page? Just have them listing with
Code: Select all
<cms:menu masterpage='index.php' />

The only part i don't understand is
(populate it dynamically by querying the drivers.php template)

Big thankyou for the support KK, i'll start building it and run a test :) So you can then see what progress i've made :) Just looking at Jquary auto Re-fresh a div, not too sure how i'll go around this, only other option is a button with a re-fresh logo
The only part i don't understand is
(populate it dynamically by querying the drivers.php template)

Couch has an undocumented feature where we can populate a dropdown dynamically.
Please take a look at the following thread (my answer to the opening post)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3682
where we use this feature to dynamically populate a dropdown showing a list of 'manufacturers' by reading another template containing the values.

Do let me know if you require any help with it.
9 posts Page 1 of 1