Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I think I've finally found a CMS I can work with and that will offer my clients something really user friendly. I've been evaluating Joomla, Wordpress, Concrete5 and found I was wrestling to achieve what I wanted. Plus they seemed like enormous sledgehammers to crack a small nut. But some of the sites I create would really benefit from something more than CushyCMS - which is great, but limited.

I'm working through the tutorial / Aurelius test site and liking what I'm seeing very much.

I have a QUESTION about a feature I'd like to include in several client sites - and that is a simple Events Listing (Date, heading, subheading, details). It would be shown in date order, with the closest to today's date first. Is it possible to stop showing Events which have a date in the past? The client will then be able to add events and not have to worry about regularly updating the list to delete those events which have come and gone.

Thanks in advance for your help and for a great CMS!
Hi and welcome to our forums :)
We are glad you liked Couch.

Replying to your query -
..It would be shown in date order, with the closest to today's date first. Is it possible to stop showing Events which have a date in the past?

Yes, certainly it is possible.

The standard way to create events is by creating a cloned page for each event and setting the publish date of pages to the event date.
The cms:pages is then used to list the pages (i.e. events).
This cms:pages tag supports the start_on and stop_before parameters. These two are meant to be used to constrain the pages fetched to a time limit defined by them.
For our purpose, we'll use only the start_on parameter and set it to the current day (using the cms:date tag).
This way the output will always ignore pages that fall in the past.
Code: Select all
<cms:pages masterpage='events.php' order='asc' show_future_entries='1' start_on="<cms:date format='Y-m-d' />" >
   <h3><cms:show k_page_name /></h3>
</cms:pages>

Please note in the snippet above that we have set the show_future_entries to 1 because, by default the pages tag ignores pages that have their publish date set into the future. The order='asc' will cause the dates closer to the current day to appear first in the listing.

Hope this helps. Please let me know.
Wow, thanks for your helpful/speedy response. I'm getting excited now! I'll give this a go in the next couple of days and post up how I get on. What is exciting me about Couch is that it is enabling me as opposed to hindering me!
Well ... Couch is making me feel much cleverer than I am! I have set up an Events page on the Aurelius test site and am listing test events from today onwards. Just what I was after - thank you so much.

Just one small thing - as you said I am setting the Published Date to Event date and it seems that I cannot override minutes. So for example an Event I'm creating may have a start time of 7.30pm so I set published time to 19 : 30. But k_page_date minutes are set to the system time.

I could work round this by setting up an editable region for input of Event start time. But you may have a solution up your sleeve?! (Sorry I can't show you the page as I'm working on Localhost at the moment).
..I set published time to 19 : 30. But k_page_date minutes are set to the system time.

Please upgrade to 1.2 (available from viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3781).
Couch only adds in the seconds (not minutes) because those are not settable from the admin. The seconds won't matter, I think.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Bingo! I upgraded to 1.2.RC2 and set up a new Event and set Published Date/time to Event Date/time and k_page_date is hanging on to the minutes set up in the Admin Panel. I also updated the minutes in Published Date/time for my existing test events and all OK there too.

Thanks again.
Hello, I'm about to try Couch on a 'real' site. Previously I downloaded 1.2.RC2 in order to get the Published Time to retain minutes for comparison purposes. Should I go to the Download page and download Couch from there? I.E. will this download copy have the fix for the Published Time minutes within it?

I'll install and test Couch locally on my own machine with the free license and assuming I can deal with it all OK I'll upgrade to Standard on going live. I'm assuming this is a simple procedure - placing something within the original Free installation to transform it to Standard? Apologies if this is dealt with somewhere on the forum - I haven't been able to find it.

Many thanks.
Hi,

The current version available for download (v1.2.0) contains all the bug-fixes of 1.2.RC2.
You can safely use it in place of any previous version.
In fact, if you already have a site build in 1.2.RC2 you don't even have to upgrade and can continue using the older version.

As for your second question regarding upgrading from the free license to a paid one - the process is as simple as replacing the existing license file (couch.lic) within your Couch installation with the one that you get on buying a license.
No change is required in your site and everything keeps working the same way.

Hope that answers your queries.
Thanks.
8 posts Page 1 of 1