Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi, First I Would like to say, this seems really cool. I know there are others out here like this. The cool thing about this is you can host it yourself, or for your clients. That is a big plus to me.

Also, after reading over some of the tutorials it is way easier than say coding a theme for Wordpress. Not that I have a problem with wordpress, I love it.

I live in a small town, just graduated from my web design course, and was accepted into a self employment program. Where I am starting a web design company. My focus is small business, on limited budgets. This is pretty much perfect for that. Weird timing for this, lol.

My web design course, covered just that. Basically XHTML and CSS. It didn't really go into PHP etc, so what I do know I had to teach myself, but this is perfect for someone in the process of learning that still wants to create dynamic sites.

Alright, now that I have all the gushing fanboy stuff out of the way I do have a couple of questions.

I realize Couch is in Beta right now, and that you offer it free for non-profit, personal sites. When it comes out of Beta what type of price will we be looking at? Will you also offer a developer license?

How will this effect my javascript or jquery, if I am using a content slider, or sliding tabs or something in my design, would it be supported, I don't see why not, but I thought I should ask.

Is there any type of spam prevention for the comments?

and finally.. In general, what do you feel the security level of this cms is?

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: I guess if your using the aurilius theme, which I have tried. Javascript should work fine, so you can ignore that question if that is the case.
Hi Chris,

First of all, welcome :)

I am the lead developer of Couch and I'll try and answer all your queries -

I realize Couch is in Beta right now, and that you offer it free for non-profit, personal sites. When it comes out of Beta what type of price will we be looking at? Will you also offer a developer license?

We have not yet decided about the final price, but let me promise you Chris, it is going to be much less than what might be anticipating :)

How will this effect my javascript or jquery, if I am using a content slider, or sliding tabs or something in my design, would it be supported, I don't see why not, but I thought I should ask.
Couch is the most unobtrusive CMS you'll come across. It won't alter a single byte of your source code unless you tell it to. So JavaScript and anything that you place in your code should work without any hitch whatsoever.

Is there any type of spam prevention for the comments?
Yes indeed. Couch in fact employs several measures to prevent comments spam -
1. The CAPTHCA is integrated into the comments form.
2. There is an internal check that prevents the same IP address from posting successively within too short a time duration.
3. Identical posts are rejected.
4. And finally comments can be (and should be) moderated before getting published.

and finally.. In general, what do you feel the security level of this cms is?
We have taken great pains to make Couch as secure as possible. For example, every input into the system is sanitized for XSS and CSRF vulnerabilities, every possible precautions have been taken to prevent SQL injection etc.

Hope this answers all your questions.
Feel free to contact us in case you need any other help with Couch.
Hello Chris,

Would like to offer you some much needed information, the price for a developers licence has been updated and is now priced at $39 or £25ish. This would be per domain. So make sure you value your prices correctly so you don't make any sort of loss.

In relation to your PHP and that your slowing learning everything by yourself, then well done so far because PHP is a big world. I learnt by doing rather than a collage course as i found that i knew more than what they offered and the price was rather high for a bit of paper.

From a Designer/Developer point of view i have to say wordpress and other means are pritty useless and i know of plenty designers who use this for there clients and dont really know the total background in developing and the full load of coding, this is to why i dont use them.

Allowing yourself or a client to edit the website is now a must for us developers. Most clients have hardly any idea on coding a website and normally leave it to us to re-code or update, long process and in real terms not a good profit maker from a companys point of view.

I find that Couch CMS is a very simple device that allows you to control content and update. Which makes it more appealing to us as a designer, and our clients. and other grate ideas are that they are really easy to code into a website, a good codeded website would take you hardly a day to add the CMS.

CMS wont effect anything thats already there and includes are easy to implement if already used on the website. hope this helps somewhat.

And good luck on the buisness side of things
3 posts Page 1 of 1