Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm designing a artists/gallery page and each artist would have their own page which would then have their all their images on and a description on under or next to each image

I was thinking would a blog structure work for that if use the blog idea tutorial or is there a better way to do it?
Strongly recommend converting images to AVIF. Savings are awesome, I attach example of 100kb jpg -> 14kb avif with same visual quality. :mrgreen:

Attachments

@ianhaney50, I think you should find the solution discussed in the following topic (Nested Gallery on each page) helpful in your use-case -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8559#p16283
KK wrote: @ianhaney50, I think you should find the solution discussed in the following topic (Nested Gallery on each page) helpful in your use-case -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8559#p16283

Thank you KK, think nested gallery on each page does sound better but can the admin user create a new artist page? I'm guessing the gallery template would be the cloneable template page or would it be the products.php file be the template cloneable page if was going by that example in the link?
The 'products.php' template in the given example would become your 'artists' template (let us assume you name it 'artists.php').
The 'gallery.php' template will remain unchanged.

So now for each artist, the admin will create a new cloned page from artists.php template and save it - the gallery will automatically get linked to it.

Hope this answers your question.
KK wrote: The 'products.php' template in the given example would become your 'artists' template (let us assume you name it 'artists.php').
The 'gallery.php' template will remain unchanged.

So now for each artist, the admin will create a new cloned page from artists.php template and save it - the gallery will automatically get linked to it.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you for explaining it, sounds perfect for what I need

Thank you KK, appreciate it
trendoman wrote: Strongly recommend converting images to AVIF. Savings are awesome, I attach example of 100kb jpg -> 14kb avif with same visual quality. :mrgreen:

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind, does that make the site load quicker as well? I did think of possibly using webp images
ianhaney50 wrote:
trendoman wrote: Strongly recommend converting images to AVIF. Savings are awesome, I attach example of 100kb jpg -> 14kb avif with same visual quality. :mrgreen:

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind, does that make the site load quicker as well? I did think of possibly using webp images

Initially I also had a webp format, and even some code selected the best compression between the two - webp, avif - but lately it became more clear that avif has good browser support and the resulting quality is better with smaller size. I am quite sure that compression rate is amazing and with most light compression settings (quality = 90, speed = 4) the reduction will be 25% on average or in some cases even 90%. Quality 70/80 also look amazing, but to be on a safe side i.e. indistinguishable visual quality without artefacts I chose 90 with less savings.

if a page serves avif format, then google will rank it higher too, which is an important factor.

Addon Optima-V that I coded for AVIFs (with support, extremely valuable input and vigorous testing from @orbital) converts images automatically and rewrites links for generated pages in the source code too. So more like `install and forget` solution. If your site needs a solution for images, a test period can be arranged.
trendoman wrote:
ianhaney50 wrote:

Initially I also had a webp format, and even some code selected the best compression between the two - webp, avif - but lately it became more clear that avif has good browser support and the resulting quality is better with smaller size. I am quite sure that compression rate is amazing and with most light compression settings (quality = 90, speed = 4) the reduction will be 25% on average or in some cases even 90%. Quality 70/80 also look amazing, but to be on a safe side i.e. indistinguishable visual quality without artefacts I chose 90 with less savings.

if a page serves avif format, then google will rank it higher too, which is an important factor.

Addon Optima-V that I coded for AVIFs (with support, extremely valuable input and vigorous testing from @orbital) converts images automatically and rewrites links for generated pages in the source code too. So more like `install and forget` solution. If your site needs a solution for images, a test period can be arranged.

Thank you, using avif format for the images sounds like it's the way to go as sounds that bit better than webp format and to have it rank higher in Google is good.

I'll use it other sites I have done as well that are non couchcms ones as does look like I can easily convert from webp to avif format using a online tool to do it.

I'll keep in touch as not integrated couch yet into this site I'm building but once it's integrated, I'll message you and see if can arrange a test period and go from there
ianhaney50 wrote: I'll use it other sites I have done as well that are non couchcms ones as does look like I can easily convert from webp to avif format using a online tool to do it.

This is wise. I also recommend serving non-avif versions to visitors with old browsers. CouchCMS has a hook alter_page_output which is invoked in the very last moment before sending the generated page to the browser. This hook is perfect for checking if visitor accepts AVIF, for instance —
Code: Select all
$allow_avif = ( strpos( $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT'], 'image/avif' ) === false ) ? 0 : 1;

And if the format is accepted/allowed, then I programmatically search and replace all image links (at least those that have a converted counterpart — I check if those exist on disk) on page like test.jpgtest.jpg.avif and leave JPG/PNG alone otherwise.
13 posts Page 1 of 2